Riyad Mahrez

He has a prolific gaol scoring record in every league he’s played in and at international level, Eduardo was nothing other than a goal scorer

Kanu was a bit of a stretch but he was a top quality striker when we signed him and deffo knew where the goal was

And I already said anelka was a stretch but he digitally was a goal scorer from the first season we signed him

Sylvan Wiltord was top scorer in France before we dined him, so was Giroud

Basically it’s bullshit that we get dosent value goal scorers

Should the club be counting itself as part of the 99%, or should this club consider itself part of the 1% - part of the elite of Europe? after all, isn’t having the ability to be part of the 1% the whole point of having a brand new world class stadium? if we wanted to be part of the 99% we should have stayed at Highbury.

2 FA cups in the past 3 years is great, no doubt, but last seasons second place finish is not anything to boast about when you factor in the spectacular failure of the other big clubs and Tottenham’s collapse.

Regardless of all of that, what other clubs do or don’t do, and what other clubs and fans wish they had should be no concern for this club and it’s fans.

The bottom line, we are not most clubs :slight_smile:

Of all the players you mentioned they only broke 20 goals in a season a combined total of four times (prior to joining Arsenal at least). Two of those being Giroud and one of his being in liege 2. Basically I’m not convinced.

Wenger has absolutely never signed a World Class striker. Thats just a fact. And i think my previous comment is correct, Suker aside hes never signed a proven goalscorer.

Edit: I don’t really care how we get our goalscorers tbh but as our luck seems to have run out in terms of them being in the squad already i think we need to change tact.

1 Like

Well this is football forum so contrast and comparison with other clubs is inevitable. There’s no harm in it really and it isn’t some great sin to discuss it.

But still there no disputing the fact that Arsenal fans will have more good moments in a season than most other supporters, this is an objective fact. We’ll win most of our match, will always be at the top end of the league, we’ll always be linked to big names and we’ll go far in most cup competitions.

Although when I say this it doesn’t mean you should be accepting of Arsenal’s current situation just because we have it better than most. This is a football club, consistent success should always be demanded and our primary objective. I suspect after Wenger leaves Arsenal fans will learn a few lessons, should be a very interesting period tbh

1 Like

It goes without saying that we compare ourselves to other clubs, but which clubs do we compare ourselves with? ofc we discuss all of this, otherwise there’s little point in any of us being here. what i don’t agree with is the statement that we should count ourselves lucky because of 2 FA cups and a 2nd place finish and discount all the failure of the other 9 years where we had great chances to win more trophies if only the manager had been a little more proactive. plus last seasons second place finish doesn’t count for much, if we had battled and earned our way to that second place finish it would have meant a hell of allot more than being gifted it by Tottenham.

Those good moments are more and more being overshadowed by the bad moments i’m afraid. especially when they are unexpected and bad performances.

I have zero doubt that everyone of us expects better from the club simply because of who we are, and knowing what the team/manager are capable of when things go right.

As for the uncertainty and life after Wenger, you may well be right which is all the more important we get the right man in. i think Klopp was that man.

The way I see it you have to take the good with the bad in football. It’s natural that they’ll be more bad moments than good especially in the prem where it’s hard to see any team establishing consistent dominance and midtable club buying quality players.

I don’t think we’ve missed out on Klopp tbh. Certain aspects of his management are very similar to Wenger and are a ultimately unviable over a long period of time. A club like Liverpool is his level tbh.

I would prefer a manager that sets out his side in a more tactical manner with emphasis on defensive shape and structure.

1 Like

Wiltord?
the 2nd Signing of King Henry?

1 Like

Wiltord i’d say no but good call on Henry :slight_smile:

I’d have to disagree…he had 1 20 goal+ season pre joining us, and had just scored the winning goal in Euro 2000 and was mostly used as a striker pre joining us

1 Like

That’s a reasonable stance. I am perhaps being conflicted by the fact he was bought as a squad player rather than a first teamer. He’s closer than the rest certainly…

I think to have understood what @AbouCuellar is trying to say.

Arsenal need a striker and promising strikers like Janssen there were on the market for a right price to be bought.

Probably Arsene thought about the famous story of the bird. What is better, a bird in the hand or two in the bush?

Janssen isn’t better than Lacazette, Higuain or other top strikers but is better than nothing.

Today is the 17th of August and we don’t know if a striker will sign. In this case, remembering this Summer, the dutchman would be a good signing.

1 Like

Who is this Janssen?

Just to say, since the way football is going bow is terrible imo, i decided to start paying more attention to my local team and going to their games.

Despite them being in the Scottish 2nd tier, I had more fun following them last season than I did Arsenal. Because I could feel they were actually trying to win. Not just going through the motions and plodding along making sure revenue isn’t affected while still cashing in on the brand.

In short, it was more fun because I was watching a football club and not a corporation.

Props for the thread title btw.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-4h9vmIJQ

What’s so great about Jansen?

I hate you right now. None of what AC was saying has anythign to do with fucking Jannsen specifically.

1 Like

The not Riyad Mahrez but kinda Vincent Janssen thread.

1 Like

Wiltord’s only crime was not being as good as Henry & Bergkamp up front…He would have walked into most other teams front line at that time

1 Like

He was only used as an example, but for some reason a poster couldn’t let go of him and had to mention him twelve times an hour to prove a point he never actually had to make.

3 Likes

Ah okay. Didn’t read through completely.
On surface it seemed like a big debate on how we missed out on Janssen