Reiss Nelson (24)

Neco williams 20m last summer - a RB with 13 PL apps for Liverpool across 3 seasons.

Harry Wilson 15m the summer before - winger.

And that’s just looking at last couple of seasons for one club. Chelsea also got something above 20m for Guehi a CB.

Nelson should easily fetch 15m and with any half decent run of games probably 20m

1 Like

Just look at Joe Willock. All it takes is a good 3/4 months to gain some stock among Premier League clubs

3 Likes

Well at least the goal won something

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1665297340427583489?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

1 Like

Game changer of the season. Nelson haters are truly in the mud now

5 Likes

His agent must be sending the above link to Arteta right now :joy:

Send him to Southampton. He’s crap.

For free though?

We can extend him and sell him for much more next season. He’ll grab a couple UEFA Champions League assists and goals during the group stages, which will significantly raise his value.

2 Likes

Not convinced that him riding the bench for a year and making ten starts in mainly meaningless games gives him a value worth giving him a signing on fee and wage increase for.

I’m making these numbers up, but let’s say he’s gets a 3 million signing on bonus and 3 million a year, is it worth keeping him around in the hope he becomes a 25-30m player?

How many did he get in the Europa?

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1666368104430010368?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Dobbo0107/status/1666693109911093248

Didn’t start a PL game last season. Has 7 PL starts in his career.
No goals or assists in the Europa. He’s 23 and you give him this contract. Really?

7 Likes

I’m dubious about how comfortable he is with this situation given the stats, doesn’t say to me that he’s going to do a lot.

Agreed, I think he doesn’t want to leave what he’s comfortable with as his place of work. Patino at 21 wants to play first team football and knows if he cannot achieve that here, he will find somewhere else to do so and Arsenal appear to have greenlighted this.

Makes me think about Reiss’s attitude.

I can see that point of view, but I think we have to remember that Mikel has a ruthless side to him. If the player isnt good enough or doesnt have the correct attitude then he goes.
Its happened with players under him before, and now Xhaka is rumoured to go who has regenerated himself and is apparently a huge voice in the dressing room, but hes not right for what Mikel wants to do.

On that basis, if Mikel wants Nelson signed up im inclined to think he wants him as he can offer us something. Mikel wants us going for titles and trophies, he obviously believes Reiss can be a helping hand in that.

1 Like

Agree. Arteta isn’t okaying this if Nelson is a waster. At bare minimum Nelson has proved to be an impactful player from the bench.

FFP regulations are favourable to clubs that sell their homegrown talent, so it will likely end up being a sound business decision later down the line.

1 Like

The Xhaka thing I think is weighted on both sides. I think he always wanted to return to Germany and probably made Arteta aware of this desire before he signed his extension. Arsenal probably agreed to these terms too. I think you’re right in that Arteta has possibly made him aware that he will aim to purchase competition for that role and maybe Xhaka thinks that instead of trying to fight for a spot, he can be one of the main men elsewhere.

I certainly think Nelson looked transformed last season, certainly not the weak, play it safe fluff that he used to do when he ‘broke out’ into the first team.

There’s certainly evidence of Arteta throwing the gauntlet down to players to see what reaction he gets out of them. ESR proclaimed that he wanted the #10 shirt and Mikel saw this desire and challenged him to live up to aura of it. He’s not been able to because of injury and whatever else but again, another player that MA probably wants to see a lot more from after entrusting him.

I like that approach to young players and hope they achieve something here. Alternatively, we should look to improve if possible if the right player becomes available.

2 Likes

Reiss is a bum.

2 Likes