Reiss Nelson (24)

I think this is sensible from the club. Doesn’t mean he will be a starter but he could be a useful squad player next season, while we are down on overall squad numbers. Allows us to focus on bringing in a few top players this summer and we preserve his transfer value. Could easily sell next summer to a PL team if he doesn’t make progress.

1 Like

Can’t easily sell of he will be on 60k a week just to train at London Colney. Can’t see many clubs paying 15 plus million

1 Like

Well yeah, that was my point. Seems a lot for what he’s been bringing to the table.

I imagine the £15-20m will have some English tax contributing to that valuation. A Crystal Palace type will be perfect for Nelson if he doesn’t make it here.

~£50k pw are your bog standard wages for PL players. That’s what he would be getting elsewhere, if not more.
I doubt it will be a blicker for any potential move in the future.

Not really. And definitely not for someone with less than 40 career top flight appearances who is 23.

Talking about Reiss specifically however, he probably would have got it elsewhere, think you’re right about that.

If he does fuck all we won’t shift him. AMN on less and that wolves interest aside there has never been a serious offer.

2 Likes

Eh? The point was if we get him to sign.

Hence ‘feels like we’re trying to secure the bag’ by offering him a new deal.

So Reiss has decide he’s better off at Arsenal even though he’ll hardly play here. This is great for us but not sure it’s the best option for him. He could easily find more regular game time at a bottom half club. Maybe he think he’s still go time for a final push to prove himself at Arsenal and earn a regular first place. If it doesn’t work out, he can always leave next season, will still have his best years ahead of him.

A four year deal works out around £12m. Club being cheap seeing that as better value compared to buying a replacement.

What do you think is bog standard PL wage, and then the bog standard wage for someone with those appearances at that age etc?

Genuinely curious, I wouldn’t know where to begin putting a figure on either of those.

Would have though 25-30k would be a, standard Premier league salary. With the exception of Zaha, I’d be surprised if many Palace players are on 60k.

Ivan Toney appears to be on 35k a week and you’d think he’s Brentford’ biggest earner.

All about circumstances really. Pukki was on about 10 grand a week when banging in PL goals for Norwich. Ayew at Palace is on about 30/35 grand, Bournemouth only have one player earning more than 60 grand a week according to this:

60 grand night be what Arsenal have to pay for a back up like Nelson but all PL teams aren’t routinely handing out contracts like that.

2 Likes

These are wages team that a straddling relegation year in year out so you can’t use them for our standard as a top six team

I think most people will agree 60k a week for Nelson isn’t that bad. We weren’t gonna get him to sign for less and if we manage to get a 20m sale from it now then it’s good business.

Similar kind of wage I expected eddie to be on last year tbf.

Works out about 3m a year right? So we can use him as backup for a year and ship for 15-20m.

I keep seeing this. How do you get money from a player who doesn’t play?

1 Like

Wut?

Why would the coach trust him anymore next season when the expectations are higher?

This deal don’t add up.

1 Like

Same way liverpool got money for solanke and plenty others.

1 Like

Solanke had a reputation at his level though and performed in that young England side who had won the world cup.
Also he’s a striker. Goals pay the rent.

1 Like