Raul Sanllehi (sacked)

His neck is on the line with this Arteta appointment. If he screws this up, he has to be moved on.

8 Likes

Lol he isn’t going anywhere. He’s in the most secure fucking job in football, no matter how shit and inept you are at ur job, you will never be removed at Arsenal Football Club.

5 Likes

Still not seeing the problem with Raul. Y’all need to chill.

I have an issue with the fact Arteta is only in contention solely because he use to play here. It’s a distrubing trend we’re seeing throughout the club

If you want a promising up and coming coach that’s fine but I haven’t seen any other names being credibly mooted or linked other than Vieira.

Is Arteta the only promising coach out there worth a punt? Fact he’s out number 1 target is indicative of a club that doesn’t do extensive research and of a senior management driven by faux ideals rather than pragmatism.

8 Likes

There’s no credible evidence to suggest Arteta was always our no.1 target.

How do we know we haven’t attempted to contact several other managers?

This is all opinion.

3 Likes

:pray:t2:

I agree.
It works like this at an Arsenal interview:

Kroenke: Have you any experience at the job?

Answer: No

Kroenke: Have you had any success in this career path?

Kroenke: Are you fully qualified for the job?

Kroenke: So what qualities will you bring to the club?

Answer: I used to wear an Arsenal shirt

Kroenke: Sign here.

4 Likes

Honestly What’s the difference between Freddie and Arteta? Just because Arteta was a Co-assistant to Pep?

We don’t have the resources or the players that city have, so it’s not like he would even be able to implement a similar style of play. With the exception that he had played at this club what exactly else is there that would suggest he is the right person for this job.

Why don’t the board just give Freddie the job until the summer and let him appoint a few temporary coaches until then?

2 Likes

Arteta is more highly regarded? Both unproven but yeah, that’s it.

They are entirely different human beings and it’s quite possible that one is good at coaching and one is not?

It’s like asking what is the difference between Romario and Guardiola when Guardiola hung up the boots. Well, one could coach, the other couldn’t.

Extreme example, I know, but I hate this equating of Arteta with whoever else has no experience (OGS, Freddie) just because. They are entirely different human beings and entirely different prospects.

6 Likes

Solskjaer is experienced, even if it doesn’t feel like he is (deluded United fans seem to treat him like someone who started coaching a week ago)

2008–2011 Manchester United Reserves
2011–2014 Molde
2014 Cardiff City
2015–2019 Molde
2018–2019 Manchester United (caretaker)
2019– Manchester United

Edit: Impossible to say anything interesting about Arteta because we don’t know anything about him as a coach. It’s quite unusual to get your first job as a head coach/manager at a top club without ever having done similar work at youth level before. Mourinho I suppose would be one example of someone who went straight from assistant to manager at a big club

3 Likes

Ding ding ding… this is why waiting to summer was always going to be a very seriously realistic and probably smart scenario…

Those lauding Spurs - we’ll see… I would not want Mou personally… ever… and it seems like Poch declined us - imho that should have been the route with back-up being properly give Freddie resources until EOY.

1 Like

How do you know Arteta can coach? Only difference here is Arteta will be afforded the time and staff to try where as Freddie just got thrown under the bus.

For all we know Emery might be better than Arteta, that’s how unproven he is. And to me that’s not an acceptable risk for a club trying to get back into the CL.

Doesn’t really matter though because the board have obviously decided to cheap out again, and hire this guy. So for those of us who are not happy were just going to have to lump it.

3 Likes

One other thing to add - let’s imagine the scenario where we approach summer and Poch is still thinking about his options… if one of the 2 or 3 dream jobs are not available to him, would he not take AFC then?

That’s true and I was wrong, but I never thought the board were this incompetent that they would waste all this time to only then go and hire Arteta.

I genuinely thought that this time they would’ve learned their lesson and instead of fucking around, would go and get the best possible manager available regardless of how much it cost. The same way Tottenham did.

As it stands, were going to end up stuck with whatever was left in the Bargain bin for the next 2 years as he will need time to “rebuild”, missing out on the actual good managers with proven records that will likely be available during the summer. Seems like the next decade will pick up from where this one ended great times to be an Arsenal fan :+1:t4:

2 Likes

The closest I can think off the top of my head is Tito Villanova, who had 1 year at some 3rd division side before being an assistant and then getting the top job after Pep left.

No, I don’t know he can coach, but the only difference is not what you say. The difference is massive; we’re talking about two different human beings, two different intelligences, two different career trajectories…they’re as much the same as you and I are.

I don’t know Arteta can coach, but certainly the sensations are different with him and the other ex players (Vieira, Henry, Freddie). He’s always struck me as a different intelligence to these lot, and as I said a while ago, his playing career couldn’t have been better, in terms of the different cultures and leagues he experienced, for the development of a future manager. Then you add to that that people like Vieira, Henry, and Freddie simply weren’t regarded and aren’t regarded as Arteta was, they weren’t offered to be Guardiola’s second right after finishing their career, they weren’t talked about like Arteta is.

No, I don’t know if he can coach. I don’t know either if, say, Ilaix Moribá, Karim Adeyemi, or Yunus Musah can stick at the top level either, but I think it’s useful to look at Arteta just like this: as a young prospect. Who would you rather sign for Arsenal right now, Karim Adeyemi, or Theo Walcott? I know which I’d go with.

What wasn’t acceptable was hiring Unai Emery, a totally illogical hire, someone with no reward attached and only risk. What is acceptable to me is hiring the only type of manager that is actually going to move the needle for us: a young, strong personality, who can shake up the club, and potentially give us a competitive advantage. Would it be nice if that manager came with less risk attached, like a Poch or a Tuchel? Sure, but our position as a club means we’re not overly attractive to these types with more options than just us and so we go with what we can.

2 Likes

Domenico Tedesco had March - June 2017 at the bottom of 2. Liga with Aue as his total managerial experience before being given the FC Gelsenkirchen job.

2 Likes

I think this is what the board want us to think rather than the actual reality.

Everton are going for Ancelotti and spurs have got Mourinho who are two of the biggest names in football so if they can attract them then so can we.

It’s just lazy and cheap by the board who won’t go the extra to get the best.

I said recently that if we don’;t get Pochettino, Rodgers, Ancelotti, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, or any other top European manager and go for Arteta, it will be a clear indication of the ambition, or lack of it, from our board.

We now know where we stand with Kroenke and he has proved what I always thought.
He isn’t fit to own our club.

3 Likes

This.

All evidence suggests that we wanted Poch but he is unwilling to take the job right now. Allegri is probably in the same boat. Part of the issue is likely taking over this train wreck mid season, but both managers probably would prefer United, Real, or maybe Bayern. That’s also going to be true of guys like Nagelsmann.

So the choice is (a) waiting until the summer, with no real indication that you’re going to land a guy like Poch anyway (b) hiring a veteran out-of-work manager like Mourinho or Ancelotti that is a terrible fit for a team badly in need of a rebuild around young players or © rolling the dice on a guy like Arteta.

People act like there is a fourth option that entails hiring Poch now or waiting until the summer with a high degree of confidence that we’lll get Poch or Nagelsmann then, but maybe that option doesn’t actually exist.

2 Likes