Random football stuff

1 Like

I love how everyone has just told this clown to shut the fuck up :joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Tbh the reaction just shows how stuck in their ways a lot of these folks are. Sure, it’s a very American concept but the game is global now and the PL has a bigger following outside of the UK than it does inside.

A lot of those criticizing just don’t get that football is a global product not confined to Europe or the UK as much as in the past.

The question isn’t really whether a bunch of traditionalists would like it but whether it would generate buzz among other fans outside of that bracket. I personally think it would if done right.

Well I think the bigger question is getting other clubs , managers and players buying into it tbh.
I would imagine Klopps reaction being pretty universal among the coaches.

3 Likes

Money talks and so clubs buying in is easy. Once the clubs are on board, managers don’t really get much of a say.

As for players, in the NBA, All Star appearances equate to being able to get more money on their contracts. Similarly with this, players will get more money and if done right it’ll be good for their marketability.

By the time this happens, most of the players will be born in the late 90s/early 2000s and likely will view the concept differently than a Gary Neville type would.

1 Like

I don’t think it is that easy tbh. The PL is a massive cash cow now.
Clubs are some of the biggest brands in the game.
A struggling Manchester United and Arsenal and Liverpool pre Klopp are some of the biggest attractions in the game.
I don’t doubt that change and in many ways has to come with the game and fanbases being very global now.
Think the the domestic 39th game abroad concept , ESL or even CL final outside of Europe all have some scope and room for argument.
I just feel this concept is too far reaching as of now.
The things I mention above might actually seem bigger changes but I think thats more likely because of it being more club lead.

Just because its global doesn’t mean we need to change to American nonsense because of some clown owner

1 Like

I hope they don’t find a way to add 900 ad breaks into the game.

1 Like

Tbh I think an All Star game is much less of a reach than these ones are.

I’m not really saying its something that will happen straight away but think it’s a lot more plausible down the track than many are giving credit for.

1 Like

Maybe I’m underselling the standalone appeal of the PL but I just don’t get it. Football can’t present an all star game without Lewandowski, Messi, Modric, Mbappe etc. 14 months ago there would have been no Ronaldo. In the past 10 years a PL player barely features in the top 3 of the ballon dor.

At least in American sports they’re operating on the assumption that all the best players in the world of any given sport are in their leagues.

I put together a north / south all star XI, and tbh I’d rather just watch City play another top 4 team competitively.

9 Likes

Yeah that’s true. But it does mean that we shouldnt discount some ideas purely because they aren’t traditional. The point about it being global is more the fact that there are different interests in the game than just those in the UK.

It’s not just about that though. Loads of reasons have been offered against it here. Personally, I think it would just be shit and pointless and has literally no merit despite the stated funding the pyramid aims.

3 Likes

And basically all those reasons fall flat when the factor of money comes in. Reality is times are changing and if it makes money then it’ll get consideration, which is basically what I’m saying.

I’m personally not a fan of the concept and even as a huge NBA guy I never watch the All-Star game but I can certainly see how the concept might generate interest among different viewer markets.

People dont have to like the concept but it’s a bit silly if people can’t see why this concept is at least somewhat realistic when you consider the factors driving the game.

I hope everyone is buckled in for Super League Act 2

Sure, if the money materialises. Where does it come from on day one to try and make it a runner? No one is signing up unless the money is practically a given (like it was for ESL for example) or already guaranteed regardless of the appeal. There is no guarantee with this idea, it just sounds like something that might work, I don’t see how they make it happen tbh.

5 Likes

Plenty of places, advertising, TV, maybe hosting rights. 20 years ago you’d have sounded mad to say Saudi Arabia would host an italian Super Cup game and yet now they do.

Boehly has a better idea about this stuff than you or I, so I’m sure he’s considered some mediums for turning it into cash.

We’ll just wait and see if it ever comes about And proves a success so I guess. It won’t though. :slight_smile:

Devastated we get Jake Humphrey Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen instead

Matthew Barker you lucky bastard

1 Like

Ben Foster retired from football today.

3 Likes