Random football stuff

then we would have to pick one of the penalties, or our goal of the month will be rob holding nearly getting a goal against Chelsea

Rob Holding’s goal attempt with the club tweeting “it’s the taking part that counts”

2 Likes

Luckily the Arsenal Women have scored a few this month.

They should start doing this anyway and including Women’s goals in the vote.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Had the lot this man.

1 Like

Question - where would Morientes rank today in terms of best strikers in the world?

What an odd question. I think he would be starting for Spain if it helps. :rofl:

He’s a Morata level striker who for some weird reason seems to find himself in conversations of top strikers of his generation when he wasn’t one.

He was the tier below the top guys and two tiers below the truly elite players.

Good goal scorer though. But he was a 15 goal a season striker in an attacking team. That says a lot about his potency I think.

2 Likes

Might also say a lot about today’s game and why his ceiling would be higher now.
I agree with your analysis though. Just think the talent pool is less.
How high would Jari Litmanen be now. Quality that never got his full recognition because of the talent around.

2 Likes

15 goals was a lot more back then tbf

But good insights.

1 Like

I think they are already doing this for quite some time actually.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed :smiley:

I think its cos of the eye catching part he played in Monaco’s CL run of 03/04, think he was on loan from Madrid and put them out with his goal/goals.

At least at my school, this is when people took notice of him, and this kinda culminated in him ending up at Liverpool but not really shining.

But before this point, I don’t remember anyone giving a shit about Morientes in my world.

2 Likes

He was always one of the more expensive players on Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 so I presumed he was good.

3 Likes

Superb player who definitely doesn’t get the recognition his talent deserves. But who’s paying attention when you’ve got Del Porto, Rui Costa, Totti, Ricardo, Baggio, Zidane, Nedved, Djorkaeff, Bergkamp, Seedorf all occupying similar positions at one stage or another. List probably has 20 more names I could add.

Litmanen had everything

1 Like

Yeah no doubt I just think his talent is a little overrated in my eyes. Think, like @JakeyBoy said, he had that run with Monaco in the CL but outside of that he was effectively a Morata level striker of his generation. Think it’s rose tinted glasses to put him in any kind of top bracket.

Love these discussions though. So much more depth and personality in the game to talk about.

2 Likes

Crazy you know that talent pool. Read a list the other night on top 50 players of that decade. Jari was 44.

2 Likes

Who? Genuine question not trying to be funny, feel I’m out the loop.

Rivaldo lol. Autocorrect