Random football stuff

Those extra subs really does fuck up the game from a viewing perspective if a team is 4-0 up. It’s like in NBA games when there is a blowout win and both teams sub in their 3rd string to play the final quarter.

I believe that 12 subs should be allowed to be named in the aqua but I do not under any circumstances support 5 subs

Yeah I don’t mind big squads as the football calendar has been getting longer and longer, 5 subs does seem excessive though and will hinder smaller teams.

Also a pet peeve of mine the lack of added time that you see across so many matches. The amount of play lost during games adds up to way more than 3 minutes yet that seems to the standard time added, that’ll probably be worse after this

1 Like

You can’t favour big teams any more than this, 5 subs gives them an advantage that smaller teams can’t afford, you do wonder how these decisions are made, it seems that people in charge of football matters are the ones who don’t understand much of it.

1 Like

If we have no Europa League then being sub #4 or sub #5 might be the only way the younger players get any game time.

From what I’ve seen 5 subs is mostly being used to give 2 extra players 5 minutes rest at the end of the game so hopefully it won’t be a big tactical factor.

I don’t really see the point though, I’d assume the players will be at peak fitness next season, unless this is just the rule forever now?

I’m all for the 5 subs as long as it still restricted to 3 stoppages.

Benefits -

• Injured players forcing subs can be mitigated
  • longer lasting intensity due to fresh legs
  • squad players being more motivated due to a higher chance of getting minutes
  • being able to include more youth players on the bench and provide vital minutes where possible

I don’t buy the idea that it suits the bigger clubs more. The bigger clubs will already have a better team anyway, it’s not like making two extra subs suddenly changes that. The transfer window is where the changes are made.

Would like to see 11 allowed on the bench as well. Has anything been confirmed about the numbers on the bench?

I just really dislike Clive “that famous night in 1999” Tyldsley, though.

Anything has to be a step up from that biased northern bastard

Your wrong on this boring Chelsea knob mate.
Endured his droning on Talksport commentaries.

1 Like

His delight at Darren Bent scoring a late winner against us for Sunderland many years ago sticks in the mind

Clive always got excited for the English teams in Europe though

3 Likes

Hello

One of the very best keepers and for a while the best in the world in the 80s.

only because Nick Pope wasn’t around

First half of 10/11 he was unreal for us

Nasri, Ben Arfa, Benzema are the three major French football players of North African descent who all had / have shit attitudes. Benzema is the only one who was a consummate enough professional to maintain his high standard throughout his career. Ben Arfa and Nasri (especially the former) could have and should have been so much more than they were in their careers.

I’m glad to see that more and more young French football players (and Dutch and Belgian) are starting to play for their North African countries now though. I know it’s a contentious topic in France as I’ve read before a lot of people don’t like that kids educated in French football should then go and play abroad but I think it’s the only way African football will progress in the short term (long term though, significant investment in sporting infrastructure is needed and more appealing domestic leagues for which players can develop).

I’ll tell you one thing though;

Mbappe, Fekir, Benzema would have made a phenomenal trident for Algeria lol. Although I imagine Mbappe would likely have chosen Cameroon over Algeria IF he was the kind of player who didn’t want to play for France.

I bet Benzema regrets choosing France after seeing his shit attitude piss away his career. Imagine if he was the Algerian first choice now with Benrahma and Mahrez either side of him and Bennacer in midfield.

4 Likes

As far as I know this has always been the case in the Netherlands. Afellay and Boulahrouz are more exemption than rule tbh.

He linked really well with Chamakh as RVP was injured if I recall, when he came back his goalscoring form dipped but RVP went on a mad one and scored 18 goals I think.

This era was such good football, If I watch Arsenal on YouTube I’m drawn to this era, so much technical quality on show its a shame we never won anything when we really should have

Nasri was so fucking good. Eurgh.

1 Like

Nasri, Chamakh + snood

Iconic

6 Likes

Andre Schurrle retires from football at just 29 years of age :hushed:

Has been awful the last few seasons anytime I’ve seen him play. I hear Dortmund cancelled his contract early and he retired.

I think it’s sensible for a guy to retire when he no longer has what it takes to compete at a level he becomes accustomed to. I’m sure he’s a multi-millionaire and based on his decision, appears quite sensible. I can’t see that he hasn’t done well with his money and he’s a World Cup winner with a good career at top level.

But when you’re not even 30 and you’re doing loan spells in Russia, I think you know you’re pretty much done.

2 Likes