Racism & Sexism (etc) discussion

Didn’t name anyone did she not?

I guess if I talked about my experience on OA with an Irish member of staff, SG - nobody would have a clue who I’m talking about lol.

Let’s just be honest she called out the woman for what she saw as being racist and in one interview described it as institutional racism to link it to the entire royal family (assuming since she didn’t actually name the institution either :slightly_smiling_face:).

Don’t really like posting from the mirror but there’s also this

Ngozi has slammed the Palace ordeal and said she wanted to leave after being made to feel “very unwelcome”. She told the [Mirror]: [What she did] was racism. Through and through. It was prolonged racism.

I’d actually rather she just called out the individual who made her feel racially abused (even if I don’t think it was) and stuck by it.

Now it’s almost walking it back to put it under some umbrella of institutional racism and claim she wants no harm to the person who actually made her feel that way.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a Dave chapelles bit where the punch line was “if you have a whores uniform don’t be mad at me if I think you are a whore.” This woman has dressed in a very traditional English dress I see :rofl:. If that old woman wasn’t racist before I bet she is now and those around her to. We have such a short supply of racist we have to lower the bar of entry to become one. Truly pathetic

4 Likes

Well nvm then. Cut that shit out @DavidHillier. We can be perfectly vicious to one another without making light of mh issues.

Why even be vicious to anyone in the first place :confused:

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We’re based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.

It’s ignorant and quite rude that she followed up with further questions about specifically where her family originates after this point. The woman has literally said she doesn’t know what part of Africa her family is from, stop pressing so fucking hard. Leave any accusation of racism aside, I fully get why you’d feel interrogated and most unwelcome after this point in the conversation.

After this, she continues to press about where the woman is from, is told she was born in Britain and is British, and still says “when did you first come here”. The woman’s blackness and general appearance is such that the woman literally refuses to think of her as being born British, despite having been told that literally seconds before, and still asks her when she first came here.

She is asking all these pointed questions and refusing to even listen to any of the answers that she is given.

It’s completely inappropriate way to treat a guest and invitee to a royal function if you “work” at the palace, to start interrogating them like this. Totally lacking in class, decorum, tact and any shred of diplomacy.

4 Likes

Have you ever moved a strangers hair to see a name badge?

• Regularly
  • Several times
  • Just the once
  • No, why would I touch a stranger when I just could ask them their name
  • I’m Trion, this is a hobby of mine

0 voters

My thoughts on this:

• I agree with some of what some of you said.
  • I disagree with some of what others said
  • I don’t particularly want to get into a debate with anyone on here
  • I just wanted to add another Unread Post for the next sucker who opens this thread
10 Likes

I think this Lady was being deliberately obtuse if that conversation posted is real.

However, I don’t know how “racist” it is really is.

Literally a conversation I have almost every day of my life when people see my name and hear me speak is “Wow, you’re English is impeccable but that’s not a particularly English name is it, where are you from?”

Like no shit Sherlock, my English should be fucking impeccable I’ve lived here for like 20 years. But ultimately I know it doesn’t come from a place of racism but rather interest/surprise.

I had an interesting experience at work with a colleague the other day. She’s clearly not “OG Danish” as her name and skin complexion indicate this but I’ve never asked her specifically what her background is. She could be Lebanese/Jordanian/Moroccan/Syrian etc.

Anyway the other day we’re talking about the football and I said “what a result for Morocco” and she responded “absolutely incredible so great to see!!” and we got on to the subject of who we were supporting and she said Morocco. And I was like “ahh cool why Morocco?” And she was like “well I’m 2nd gen Moroccan immigrant duh how did you not know that?!”

BECAUSE I’VE BEEN TOLD ITS RACIST TO ASK THAT SO IVE JUST ALWAYS AVOIDED TALKING ABOUT IT WITH YOU FFS

She treated me like a weirdo for not knowing she was Moroccan but how the fuck am I suppose to know if asking is racist :joy: I literally said that to her and we had a good laugh about it, and it’s all good but still. Another colleague chimed in and said he had no idea either as he hadn’t wanted to be offensive and ask her either, and this was a guy who hangs out with her a lot and goes out with her etc.

I dunno, not everything comes from a place of malice although this Lady doesn’t sound like a piece of work.

3 Likes

It’s true that it is ignorant and although there is no excuse, the woman asking the questions is old and trying to make small talk with someone she clearly has nothing in common with, is something she doesn’t seem very good at.
She’s obviously gone full Alan Partridge, but does that make her overtly racist?

It’s not unreasonable to think that a woman wearing an African dress is proud of her heritage so after being asked where she was from, could have made the situation clearer by saying, I’m English but my parents came here from the Caribbean and Africa, rather than making a mountain out of a molehill.

1 Like

She did answer with those responses.

There’s nothing obvious of her merely attempting small talk and it’s baffling why that keeps getting mentioned

We know nothing of her tonality but what’s clear is that she invaded her personal space by touching her to remove her hair which is not on period and repeatedly took a line of questioning that made the other lady feel uncomfortable.

Like I mentioned before this little old lady excuse with good intentions just trying to get to know her is based on nothing at all.

3 Likes

Eventually, but it was fairly obvious what the older lady was getting at after the first question.
If you go to a function wearing a dress that is clearly African then don’t be surprised if someone asks you questions about wear the dress and the person wearing it come from.

“There is no excuse, here is an excuse”

Just don’t bother saying “there is no excuse” lol

You say “a line of questioning,” as if she’s being interrogated by someone in Line Of Duty.
She was at Buckingham Palace, surrounded by lots of other people and someone moved her hair to look at a name badge, it’s hardly a big deal.

If people can’t see that this has been blown out of all proportion, then there is no point debating it.

2 Likes

This will go down as proof that black people are too sensitive, and make people very hesitant to ask about them and interact with them meaningfully.

1 Like

I’ll remember that so I don’t make the same mistake again.
But I think you got my drift and if that’s the only thing that needed correcting with my post then I’m ok with that.

1 Like

Hardly a big deal to you clearly

Who cares where she was? You don’t do that period. And yes the questioning was out of line particularly if her tone was dismissive and patronising.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt why exactly?

Yeah mate. You forgot the words chip and shoulder.
It’s 2023 ffs basically.

Just saw her interview on good morning britain, She has a chip on her shoulder and played to the racist narrative as merely asking where she is from is racist.

There was point where she said was at the palace due her activism regardless about how she feels about the institution….

Yeah. There all the same, aren’t they :roll_eyes: