Racism & Sexism (etc) discussion

Yeah not disputing that. I was just referring to this specific situation. Which specifically referred to women.

I think your bias is showing as the problem is 94% of the journos killed are men. This suggest that there is a problem with male journos being killed. The way the un framed makes no sense unless you subscribe to feminism without analyzing the information given. Out of every 100 journalist killed 6 are women 94 are men yet they tweet said stop killing women. How about just saying stop killing journalist as there seem to be a bigger issue with male ones being offed rather than putting a statistic out that makes you look like a tone deaf moron

1 Like

Anyone ever heard of ā€œUN Womenā€ before reading that tweet?

Basically, thereā€™s no reason anyone should give a fuck about this tweet.

No one saw that trust me :unamused:

1 Like

No one saw what?

I dunno. Suggests to me there are more male journalists than female. So the odds will swerve that way.

2 Likes

Yep thatā€™s a pretty obvious oversight here.

Itā€™s a factual observation on my part too. I have worked for all the major media outlets.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the Daily Sport Christmas party like? Asking for a friend

1 Like

Haha I donā€™t know. But this reminds me; back in the day, I did work experience at Zoo Magazine and I still have a Zoo mag T-shirt that all the glamour models wore :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have, a year a two ago they found it difficult to define what a woman was :man_shrugging:t5:

Please donā€™t reveal any more of whatā€™s on your twitter timeline :partey:

This is a really tough watch but it was worth it.

I was a little embarrassed as a MOT that Baddiel specifically mentioned the fact it was only after he got abused for being Jewish that he realized how bad it was.

I do want to check out his documentary on anti-Semitism too.

1 Like

I was sent a rather unfavourable take on Baddiel just yesterday

Jason Lee seems like a good bloke, like heā€™s being very fair to David Baddiel.

Iā€™ll watch that video youā€™ve shared when I get a chance across the next few days Josh, to get a better sense of things than this thread alone would provide (though this is far from the first thing Iā€™ve heard/read about Baddiel and Lee)

2 Likes

There was always an arrogance and aloofness about him and very little humility that I found hard to take too.
Maybe you can be cynical that he done the interview on behalf of his documentary, but tbf I would give him the benefit of the doubt as he clearly looks distressed here.
Itā€™s a good watch this though and credit to Lee for highlighting the need for these conversations too be had.
Labeling isnā€™t taking the conversation anywhere.

2 Likes

He should look distressed! He deliberately racially abused someone for his own amusement.

And then didnā€™t apologise until he had no choice.

3 Likes

I think heā€™s being really fair.

Not to spoil the interview but thereā€™s one portion where Baddiel explains how hard it was convincing clubs to support Kick It Out and acknowledge there was an issue with anti-Semitism and Lee jumps to the obvious answer which is if youā€™re the guy fronting the campaign maybe youā€™re the wrong messenger even if the message is worthwhile. Baddielā€™s huffy denial was pretty telling.

Itā€™s absolutely insane to me though that the BBC, which has a reputation over here of being extremely professional, signed off on a man doing blackface in the last 80 years or so. Everybody knows you canā€™t do that except maybe those people who defend wearing blackface for that Dutch Christmas thing which I mean, come on guys, get your shit together.

1 Like

Not insane to me. Hollywood went through a period in the 80ā€™s where blacking up was the new form of comedy.

Even a cult classic like Trading Places, has to now come with a disclaimer.

1 Like

I love that movie and still donā€™t understand the stock market scene at the end. Iā€™ve had to have my dad explain it to me a million times.

1 Like

That scene was played as testimony in some congressional hearing about regulation to prevent insider trading :slight_smile: