Racism & Sexism (etc) discussion

:joy: that’s a good point, well remembered @shamrockgooner

2 Likes

My wife being Chinese has this problem often in the UK. I have family who have known her for five years who still say her name wrong or resort to a nickname, and she has some colleagues who get her name wrong too. Some people, like my family, are, I think, legitimately trying and have just accepted the easy option of a nickname probably to not cause offense. Her colleagues are just lazy as I don’t think they are even aware that they get it wrong. There are also genuine cases of names being really fucking hard to say. I once had a Portuguese friend called Joao. I butchered the pronunciation of the ‘oao’ sound so often, he eventually insisted I use a nickname.

1 Like

She pronounces the name incorrectly herself.
It’s neither KAmalA nor KamAlA, it’s KamalA.

I sympathise with Indians who live abroad. They just don’t grasp the subtle nature of ‘swar’ and ‘vyanjans’ of our language.

Regarding the topic

I am with sham. I don’t see anything wrong with asking.

Personally I don’t feel comfortable asking someone’s nickname unless I have a good cordial relationship with them. I would take their proper name regardless how hard it is.

1 Like

How did you miss out on Cocke?

1 Like

I think everyone is pretty.much in agreement on this one. If you make no effort to learn someone’s name and immediately ask them for an option thats easier for you, you’re a rude bellend.

If someone makes sincere efforts but can’t pronounce a name that contains sounds that are very uncommon or don’t exist in their language its a different story, there are going to sometimes be foreign names that are very difficult for people to pronounce. In those instances I’ve always found the person whose name is tough to pronounce to be understanding.

I can’t say this for sure as someone’s whose name is easy to pronounce, but I think that the vast majority of people will be understanding as long as people have made a genuine effort to pronounce their name, and will only be annoyed when it’s clear people don’t even care about trying to get it right, like this prat off Love Island.

I remember this poor kid at school called Mayooran who just gave up trying to stop getting people calling him “my-urine”. Secondary school kids are cunts, what can I say, its probably not wholly relevant in this thread lol.

5 Likes

When I met my boy @Cristo he told me his full name and it’s a real tough one to say without practice.

Fully get why he shortens it to “Jay”. I have a ten letter Sikh first name but it’s actually quite easy to say if you literally know how to read. I remember when the register needed to be taken at school and it was a new teacher, when they got to my name, I could see the cogs turning and I’d just pre-empt them with “Kam for short, sir”.

My very traditional Sikh name has been mispronounced as fucking Kenneth before, and I just prefer to go in with my nickname straight off the bat. Saves hassle and doesn’t offend me personally tbh.

7 Likes

This isn’t the same at all as its the same name and doesn’t sound different but I find it annoying a.f. when someone puts down two L’s in my name without asking first lol

1 Like

Million dollar question- did @Cristo pronounce your full name correctly? :grin:

1 Like

Tbf there used to be a footballer playing for Aston Villa in the 90’s with mine and @Cristos name, but in his case it was his surname. If I remember correctly the commentators did pronounce it fairly correct :laca2:

1 Like

We just went with nicknames :joy:

2 Likes

I’m sure an intelligent and well travelled bloke like Cristo would have pronounced it easily. But we both went with nicknames then sang Gold with a bunch of randomers

3 Likes

Fuck yeah that was funny! That was in that bar near Bank wasn’t it? Harry’s Bar or something? Proper little dive lol good atmosphere though haha

2 Likes

Yeah man, think it was ÂŁ5 something for a pint of Asahi. By City standards, was a good price for a quality pint, never been back there though

2 Likes

Bakke? Leonardson? :grin:

Milosevic Cristofferssen.

2 Likes

Joachim?

3 Likes

Ding ding

Like Fulham’s captain funnily enough

1 Like

He was a good little player. Scored against us in late 98, too :roll_eyes:

His finest moment was probably Leicester City’s play off final against Swindon in 93. Swindon won it, but it was a great game and great performance by Joachim.

1 Like

Burst on to the scene didn’t he? :grin:

1 Like

You’re footballing knowledge never ceases to impress haha

Although I’m talking about the current Fulham captain, Joachim Andersen

1 Like