Pre-2000s Football

4 Likes

How was his career in Italy? @Gio @SRCJJ

2 Likes

Impeccable. Very highly regarded for his time at Juventus.

Such a great player at his peak. I remember when he went to Barcelona and was hugely influential alongside Ronaldinho in lifting them up the table and then they never made the deal permanent and he ended up passing away the rest of his career.

One of the most recognisable players of his day for sure.

6 Likes

Yeah, fantastic player. A mix of Gattuso and Seedorf all in one. Probably 8/10 as good as the two “styles” as the players I’ve chosen but in one player, just brilliant. Him Zidane and Nedved could’ve been a class midfield.

4 Likes

Are you old enough to remember him at Milan in the 90s? That must have been annoying to Milan fans, sell to Juve and he goes onto become the best box to box midfielder in the league.

I think Milan played him on the left wing in the chances he got

1 Like

Also Davids was my big wishlist buy in the 90s. The acceleration, incredible close control, Cruyff turns, intelligent passing and Roy Keane like tennacity in winning the ball back. Davids and Vieira would of been sensational. I thought Wenger would buy more Dutch players after we landed Overmars too. It’s a pity we didn’t land him when he left Milan.

2 Likes

He was still a bit of a dirty bastard in the last NLD at Highbury, mind you

1 Like

I was really annoyed he went to them

Who else played this? :smiley:

4 Likes

Was meaning to bump this thread earlier, funnily enough.

Few handy players in this squad, eh?

Old Paolo would have to change his name for fear of being cancelled if he were playing these days though

10 Likes

Just shows you how stacked serie a was when they only won the title once. That team would walk the league these days…

Some vintage 90s Serie A strikery here…

4 Likes

Loved how Zamorano celebrated, man was so fucking pumped.

4 Likes

He’s the one who got sent off at Highbury and blew kisses to the crowd, no?

I absolutely love his heading ability and he was “only” 178 cm. Brilliant brilliant header of the ball. A great finisher in general. Reminds me quite a lot of Falcao.

To add another nice Serie A team from the 90s, @JakeyBoy

Why stop here…
Another Serie A icon from the 90s, early 00s…

:heart: :heart: :heart:

4 Likes

Man, upon watching this again, Crespo is basically just Zamorano mk 2 just slightly improved. They play in exactly the same way, kick the ball, head the ball the same, poachers in the box in great positions, but just clinical finishers. Excellent posts @Pires

Agree with @RockyMaivia Pippo was just the same, love the passion especially when it’s on the end of actual fucking talent.

2 Likes

Inzaghi is quite possibly my favourite non Arsenal related player just because of his goal celebrations.
He doesn’t exist the whole game but when he scores you’ll fucking know he’s there. Absolutely love the guy.

2 Likes

I wish I could like your post a thousand times. That is probably my favourite, most bittersweet goal of all time.

You know, I don’t know why but even before I got to the video, I had a feeling it was going to be that video. I remember watching this game myself live at home I remember the whole afternoon so vividly. I’d got out the shower, and we were playing Novara, last game of the season. We were playing shit, it was 1-1, I hadn’t even got out of my towel, my curtains were still drawn, I was fixed in position, I was so tense, how can we draw the last game of the season with all our legends leaving on this day?

What I love most about that goal… is Nesta comes on as a late substitution. He gets the ball, passes it to Seedorf, who exchanges passes with Gattuso. Seedorf does his trademark 20-30 yard backspinning chip over the Novara defence, Pippo is forced wide against an onrushing keeper and he hits it on the half volley back across goal into the net. All our legends leaving that day were involved in the goal, I haven’t cried more over football in my life. That moment will stick with me forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeWRqsP60Wc&t=43s&ab_channel=FabioM.

Just watch Pippo after the goal. He knows it’s all over, he knows that’s it forever, this was the perfect way to say goodbye, and he doesn’t know what to do with himself. You can see him shaking.

3 Likes

Fucking hell, im tearing up again, i forgot just what a massive part of my life that team was. Fuck they got me through some serious shit. What a time to be alive that was.

3 Likes

Even as a non Milan fan it’s hard not to get emotional after that goal and knowing so many legends are playing the last game for Milan.

I wasn’t a big Serie A fan when younger, obviously loved the intensity, directness of the Premier league (at the start of the millenium)… but they were showing Serie A derbies regularly on TV, 9 pm on sundays, never misswd one, always knowing that was the last breath of freedom before the week in school… That Milan generation (the Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka/Rui Costa romb; Nesta, Maldini, Inzaghi…) marked that decade like hardly any other.

But, yeah, Inzaghi was special for me, still is. :heart:

1 Like