Pre-2000s Football

@Sol was the best 23 I ever saw. No one plays the 23 position like him.

2 Likes

It’s why the number 14 is a magic number just ask Thierry

1 Like

I’d have to squeeze Platini in there I think.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Ok top 4 then

1 Like

Again, not exactly PRE 2000s, but damn… What a time to be alive… The atmosphere was insane.

1 Like

Capello doesn’t get his flowers enough. That guy was a master in the 90s and early 00s.

Totti at his peak was different level

2 Likes

Also I think Capello was often praised for being a tough manager, strong defensively during the later stages of his career, but I loved to watch Roma while he was there, they played brilliant fluid attacking football.

To get to another topic… Just watched this, simply can’t get enough od this guy.

2 Likes

That’s the issue, people associate rigid defensive football with Capello which is obviously very accurate at times but he had some amazing teams.

His mid 90s Milan teams, his Roma team are his crowning achievements in my eyes.

Seedorf was complete. I loved him and he stands as one of my favourite midfielders ever

On the topic of Dutch midfielders- Edgar Davids was one of my favourites too. Rough, beautiful technique and dribbling ability, very strong in the tackle and just very athletic.

2 Likes

Yep. That’s what you love about them, total footballers. You put them in almost any position on the pitch and they deliver. Athleticism, technique, defending, tackling, dribbling, shooting, passing, everything. Incredible skillset.

And obviously, also both are among my favourite footballers of all time.

1 Like

How did this Seedorf goal not get in that video?

3 Likes

They probably felt it wasn’t needed, they’re showing it everywhere anyway…

Btw seeing vintage young Roberto Carlos in these old Madrid clips… Damn, you’ll probably never see a monster like him on the pitch again. Freak.

2 Likes

How good were the van de Kerkhof twins? My pops used to rave about them all the time but not really much available football of them online unless you delve into full Netherlands matches from the 70s

Rene was good. Classed as a winger but I would class him more as a right midfielder.
Good feet but physically strong. Dutch team in the 70s all technically good but could all handle themselves too.
Willy was more a central midfielder good on the ball but more of a possession player.
Rene was the better of the two for me.

1 Like

Big game player. lived for moments like this.

Has there ever been a player with such a blend of speed, power, technique, dribbling ability and just ability to change directions at any one time.

He was an alien before his injuries

2 Likes

Love that game, absolutely legendary

1 Like

Yeah beautiful game. Such high quality teams that match one of my favourite draws ever.

The quality of that Netherlands team was unreal and the Brazil team too

Best moment for me was extra time R9 blasting out with a mesmerising run late on.

No. It wasn’t.

4 Likes

Lmao

Apart from the little guy in your avatar you mean?:slightly_smiling_face: