Pre-2000s Football

So classy and elegant. Literally looked ahead of his time compared to a lot of English players at the time.

Wonder if he’d have been better appreciated playing for another major European nation.

Where does he stand among the English playmakers through history? @Stroller @InvincibleDB10 @Jesseviolin

And also what was his reputation like abroad @ronniec ? I know he only played in France but was he well regarded in Germany or nobody cared about him?

Actually like Brady the showcase for their talents was highlighted abroad.
Hoddle was so under used by English coaches. Sadly that included Bobby Robson as well. This is at the time Platini was on his way to becoming the best player in the world.
English obsession at that time of prioritising tackling midfielders over a gifted play maker says it all.
Shipped out onto the right side of midfield at times was truly criminal.
Wrong time in football for Brady and him. Neither had the coaches they deserved to show their true pedigree.

4 Likes

You summed it up nicely here regarding both players, although I’ve never really followed the English team it was strange he was underused for the England team, I’m assuming flair players weren’t regarded well at the time .
I do remember he was one of the games finest passers of the ball at the time though.

1 Like

As a playmaker there weren’t many better, although he lacked pace, couldn’t tackle and wasn’t very good in the air but he was one of the best passers and free kick takers in the league.

He wasn’t great for England, even if he played around fifty times but when Wenger bought both Hoddle and Hately at Monaco, he said he couldn’t believe that such a good player wasn’t wanted by any clubs in the English league.

1 Like

Jean Tigana.

Not a name I hear mentioned often but realised France Football had him in consideration of about the top 20-25ish midfielders ever.

Was he that good?

I used to watch those compilations from old EUROS/WCs all the time, and alway had an impression Tigana was a huge name, one of the biggest in that France generation behind Platini.

1 Like

Yeah whenever people talk about France from the mid 80s his name tends to come after Platini

Rarely hear him mentioned these days

1 Like

Sublime silky ball carrying midfielder. Him Giresse, Platini rival anything the Spanish midfield vintage.

2 Likes

He was mentioned a lot though

1 Like

Yeah I imagine so but in 2022 he’s not a name often mentioned when people talk about the great European midfielders of the last 30-40 years for example

Because people are polluted by the names like Pogba :wenger:

3 Likes

I like to see Juve suffer so just a little reminder when they used to have a world class no.10
Along with El Diego and Dennis he’s in my top 3 no 10s

3 Likes

Hmmm Cantona a rival for no.10? Especially against Baggio

Sooner we get summer number 10s back in the sport the better it’ll be again.

2 Likes

Such a beautiful player. Just beyond words how good he was on a technical level.

1 Like

I love Eric but wasn’t he a 7?

I think 7 by number, but was the position a 10?

(This shit often gets confusing lol)

Yeah I go by shirt numbers not how a number is defined on the pitch lol, I’m old school

2 Likes

Haha yeah. You tell people Wrighty was the perfect no 8 nowadays, they’ll think he was a CAM lol

2 Likes

Your fucked with Cruyff then.