Pre-2000s Football

Paul Breitner went missing during his peak years too after signing for Madrid. Great loss that also for the DFB.

1 Like

all fucking egos

You can’t compare anyone to Maradona, so it isn’t really fair to try and put anyone alongside him he was complete unique.
But Platini is up there with the all time greats ,I’ve seen enough games of his with Juve and France to say without a shadow of doubt he qas a magician with the ball, Zidane could only wish he was as good as Platini.

3 Likes

He played alongside Zico and Falcao in a very good Brazil side and stood out because of his height and he wore a headband.

He made everything look easy, with no real weak links to his game.
He could pass, he scored quite a few goals from midfield, and was a leader.

It was a shame he never won a World Cup but was still considered an elite player.

4 Likes
2 Likes

When football was not about raw speed and power…
Those good old days

1 Like

He doesn’t have to wish. He was better. :+1:

1 Like

I agree that Maradonna was unique and a level above every other player he played with.

But as great as Platini was, I think Zidane was marginally better.
They were classy players who could change a game through their individual brilliance.
They both stood out in great teams, had great control, passing ability and scored loads of goals but Zidane was a more powerful player, who won everything at every level with no weak links to his game.

It might also be that Zidane played alongside the likes of Vieira, Petit, Pires and Henry, in the France team that won the WC and Euros, that makes him seem better. :grinning:

1 Like

Out of interest what weaknesses are you seeing in Platini game.

It’s not so much that he had weaknesses but Zidane had won everything and I preferred watching him.
Platini wasn’t as physically as powerful so that’s what sways me more towards Zidane.
But they are both elite players.

1 Like

I suppose it’s personal preferences but during the 80s Platini played in a far superior France team thn Zidane’s. Platini was up against a brilliant Italy, Brazil, West Germany even Poland were great in those days. I felt home advantage helped a not entirely convincing France win the cup.
If we are going on statistics Platini blows Zidane out of the water ( granted the same applies to Maradona).
Zidane was part of the Real Galacticos, Juve and St Etienne were playing in a more competitive field comparatively.
Platini didn’t have any weaknesses, Zidane was an amazing player but personally from watching him play and from what I’ve seen Zidane play i I put Platini ahead.
Also basing anything on a trophy cabinet haul isn’t a measure of greatness otherwise Olivier Giroud would up there in the conversation of world class players :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

For me it’s the level of greatness of the Italian League at that time.
He was the outstanding player for a couple of seasons at that time.
I just miss watching players of creativity like that.

3 Likes

Thought some might say link up, pressing, hustling…shit like that :joy:

1 Like

VS.

Who wins?

2 Likes

That can’t be right.
No Aguero for Argentina and no Denilson for Brazil either. :grinning:

I hope Di Stefano, Jairzinho and Romario are on the benches.
No winner here though with those teams I’d say a 5-5 draw

1 Like

Brazil

Where is Rivaldo?

I may add Caniggia to keep Roberto Carlos busy to defend

Rivaldo was such a world class player he had it all in his arsenal. A real big game player on top of everything else

It’s crazy that he went to Milan and basically totally fell off at that point and wasn’t used much before he went on a journeyman tour.

So good but to go from the 2002 World Cup to being binned by Milan in a year

1 Like

Seen Socrates metioned a few times in this thread, his biogrpahy by Andrew Downie is probably the best football book Ive read, would highly recommend it

2 Likes