Pre-2000s Football

Zico or Platini, whom would you pick?

Probably yeah. Also football didnt consume him. Dedication not really a strong point.

Platini.

1 Like

Zico. Platini is overrated

too bad they faced West Germany twice in the semi final in 2 WC… especially 82.
their 82 semi should be the final instead of Italy

He had a very successful Juventus career also, not just winning the 84 Euro…
No way you can say he is overrated

I have a soft spot for Platini. When I grew up he was one of the major players my father would speak endlessly about and make me watch VHS tapes of old games from the Euros in 84 I believe.

To me, Platini and Maradona define the 80s

3 Likes

What did you think of Rummenigge btw?

Germany has never had any really prolonged period of irrelevance. Serial competitors at major tournaments you can never count them out.

Was the 1982 team considered a great team?

You know 84 was some tournament. The destruction of Belguim was so good. 5 0 thrashing against one of the most regimented defences in the world at that time.

1 Like

I’ve heard one or two people wrongly put him in the same elite bracket as Maradona.

Platini belongs in the bracket of greatest football players and even though I think Maradona is his own entity, I don’t think it’s outrageous to put them in the same bracket. Platini won everything with Juventus, led France to Euros and had I think a third place finish at the World Cup in 1986

He had prolonged period of greatness and consistency you can’t really ever take that away from him.

Platini probably isn’t the best ever but to me he is the defining figure of the 80s after Maradona

3 Likes

Cruyff
Diego
Platini
My top 3 of all time. Lead their clubs and countries to greatness.

1 Like

Nah

Platini is well below Maradona’s standard.

Cruyff is the standalone in footballs most influential figures list in my opinion. You won’t find a better player who became an elite manager than Cruyff

Revolutionised the game in so many ways I don’t think European football I’m the 90s until now develops how it does without Cruyff influence. Without him there’s no Sacchi who himself influenced so many top managers.

3 Likes

IMO KHR (Rummennigge) was the last of the German old school strikers.
Robust, efficient, always get the job done but kind of boring to watch.
Like Rossi, Schillaci, you won’t see them doing much off the ball; but when they sniffed the chance, they just scored.
The next generation like Voller, Klinsmann were far more technical and all round.
If I remember correctly, KHR started his football career pretty late… which means he was really talented.
One of the best German strikers no matter what.

Excluding Breitner, I think 90% of the 82 team players going on to play in the 86 WC… and get into the final and bow to Maradona only. Were they good? Yes really, but I don’t see them as great. They just under perform in the 82 final, 84 Euro, 86 WC, 88 Euro…

2 Likes

it depends on how big/small that bracket is, be honest.

It’s small if Maradona is in it lol

the way Platini dominated Europe and winning trophies in that few years was really spectacular, exceptional, as good as Maradona started winning the WC and then making miracles in Naples.

I would say, Maradona is the GOAT, but it is not wrong and outrageous to put Platini’s name next to him.

1 Like

He’s not even the best French player of all time, Ron, lol.

Completely outrageous to put him up there with Maradona. But hey, let’s leave it there

It was such a shame for Germany that Schuster turned away from the national team. Team could have been built around him.

1 Like

I don’t think he is inferior to Zidane, seriously. It is like Messi and Maradona, who’s better who’s not?
anyway, leave it here :slight_smile:

Yeah, too bad… but this made him a legend, right?
Effenberg was another example. Fuck the NT attitude.

1 Like