PL UK Television rights tender 2019/22

NBA games on League pass are priced between $1.99 and $5.99, so £15 per game feels like bad pricing imo. It’s a no from me.

1 Like

At the end of the day someone had to be responsible for coming up with some of the lot revenue so it was always going to fall on fans to plug that gap.

From a PR perspective it’s awful but it’s just something that feels a bit necessary at a time like this providing part of that money is passed on to the clubs.

Maybe if it was £15 a month for all the non-broadcast games as some PL subscription it might be worth something and probably generate more revenue but wow, £15 a game? 2 games is the equivalent of having Sky Sports.

Am I right in thinking some of these games could clash anyway? So you may have Sky already and have to miss the Arsenal vs Fulham game you already paid for so that you can pay another £15 to watch West Brom play Burnley because they’re both at 2pm on a Sunday?

You’d think in this one instance they could either auction another “package” temporarily for all those games, or just give them to the existing providers to keep them sweet, or have them on terrestrial TV, or any number of less dicky alternatives.

I guess the argument they’ll make is your regular matchgoers should be able to not miss a game while your average TV fan wouldn’t see that game anyway, and if you were a matchgoer you’re likely paying £25+ per seat per game anyway.

2 Likes

The best deal ever was paying for Sky and then paying what worked out to £1 a game for PremPlus.

Actually, scratch that. Best deal ever was one top flight game on ITV on a Sunday afternoon in the 80s.

Bliss

1 Like

People shouldn’t be surprised. I’m all for this.
Same for PPVs for blockbuster movies.
You want high quality you gotta pay. That’s the only way for them to maintain the level they’ve set pre-COVID.

Spoken like a true romantic.

£15 a match though? If people want to carry on watching all the matches, that will be an additional £75 per game week. Yes I know, most people will not be going for that, and will just most likely head for their own team’s games, if any. But it does seem a big leap to go from offering all these matches one week to asking for £15 per match the next. The price point seems too high.

Yes I know it’s cheaper than a match day ticket, but you’re not simply paying to watch football through a TV there, you’re paying for the whole experience.

£15 per match will push people back to illegal streams. Something like a fiver a match would be the compromise. Fans would pay that just for the convenience.

Yeah, I’m sure they’re testing the waters too.
See how much the consumers are willing to pay for their footy.
Could see them changing the pricing come January if it doesn’t work.
Thing is, many thought the PPV market is dead but recent events busted that theory. Many have been trying to get back into that market and the current situation has given them the perfect reason to try it out.

£15 to watch West Brom v Burnley on telly :joy: May break records for being the least watched PPV event in history!

5 Likes

A couple times in the past I’ve spent ten quid on a sky sports day pass, before I had Sky and BT log ons off mates, if it was a big match and I didn’t want to risk having to contend with dodgy streams that could go down any minute.

It wasn’t exactly cheap, but given it then gave me access to any other matches played that day (or even a match or two the day before/next day if you activated the pass at a certain time tactically so the 24 hour period worked to your advantage) it felt more like value for money.

So £15 for a single match feels pretty shitty in comparison to a similar online, one off payment for access to football, to me anyway.

2 Likes

This is basically back to pre pandemic football now. Only difference is instead of the other games not being on TV they are now on PPV.

I’ll just go back to streaming the arsenal games
“not on tv” online then. Cheers lads :joy:

Fifteen quid is ridiculous. Won’t be paying that.

Then they wonder why illegal streaming of football is so high 2 matches on ppv equals a 3 month sub on the net somewhere to stream 3months of football.

An highlight go straight on YouTube once the match finishes.

2 Likes

I’ll just follow Arsenal matches on here

Just need a bit more detail when we’ve typed “so close”, peeps. (Is it us or the opposition?)

You’ll have to sign up to Lucas YouTube and Patreon for that I’m afraid.

1 Like

Newcastle and United are two well supported clubs with plenty of fans outside of their respective cities.

Everton vs Liverpool and City vs Arsenal are obviously the 2 big draws of the next weekend but I can’t believe their game wouldn’t be selected as one of the other 3 or 4 on a normal match weekend.

So potentially they’re taking games that would have been on Sky off of it to instead be PPV. I hope it’s not but if that’s the case it stinks tbh.

2 Likes

That’s a great point actually

I dunno. The TV games for next weekend had already been selected before this PPV thing was announced. Plus, when you look at the 5 games on TV, you can see why they’ve been selected. And IMO they are the 5 most interesting fixtures next week.

Everton v Liverpool
Man City v Arsenal
Palace v Brighton
Spurs v West Ham
Leeds v Wolves

We’ll see as it goes on, but I’m not too suspicious just yet. Newcastle v Man United last season was an absolutely dreadful game.

2 Likes

Also known as LuTube

1 Like

I feel zero guilt about illegality of streaming…

6 Likes