Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Trying to get off is what got him in this mess.

I dont think its that bad to sell in January, provided we get a good price from someone trying to beat the summer rush.

My revised expectations are a top half finish and evidence of some decent structure and direction going forward, and I think weā€™d be able to do that without Auba.

Another alternative is signing him to a massive deal at 31 years old, which is dumb because itd be at least 3 to 4 years and a payrise to get it done. And plus he isnt going to be our main guy long term anyway.

Let him be free to go and ride out the last year or 2 of his prime kicking the ball into the goal for another club with a bit more going for them.

Depends on his motive here. If heā€™s feeling settled in London/at Arsenal and has no aspirations of moving up to a top tier club, then we should be trying to sort out a lucrative deal for him. This could all be posturing after all.

Iā€™d absolutely be fine if he generally wanted to leave us because we have a few years of roughing it ahead of us and I feel heā€™s been exemplary since being here. We should be recouping all of the money we paid BVB for, if not more. We then lose our talisman but have funds to pour into one or two Arsenal level players.

And basically, out of the four big player contracts we have had to deal with in the past 2 years (Sanchez, Ɩzil and Ramsey), Iā€™d have no problem with Arsenal offering him a similar salary to what Ɩzil is earning now. I have more faith that at the very least he provides a better return for that money in a three year span for example than Ɩzil has. The problem here is that I think weā€™re close to our threshold in regards to FFP, so the club are hamstrung in what deals they can and canā€™t do (the onus for them selling off the bloat is ever more pressing now in that regard).

@Blackburngeorge heā€™s 30. Now that is a fact

If we transfer Auba, can he take Troopz with him?

3 Likes

I assume people donā€™t want to give Aubameyang a bumper deal since that is going to interfere with the rebuilding of the squad. But Arsenal have a lot of dead wood to get rid of for that not to be a problem I, again, would assume. According to transfermarkt.com Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz are also in the last year of their contract in 20/21, Xhaka wants to leave etc.

I donā€™t think Ozil is free of blame in his demise, but letā€™s not forget Emery happened either. Emery/Ozil was never going to work.

Hahaha maybe AFTV can fuck off too

1 Like

Keep Auba at all costs. Heā€™s one of the best strikers in the world.

His replacement wonā€™t be.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Ship out Ozil in January and use his wages to extend Aubameyang.

Or get rid of somebody like Mavropanos who has clearly no future here :thinking:?

3 Likes

Or both!

2 Likes

If itā€™s money he wants give it to him and sell Laca. If itā€™s CL football he wants then keeping him by offering more money will only last a short time before he becomes pissed off not playing CL football.

1 Like

Exactly.
Weā€™ve never replaced an out going world class player with anything other than mediocre.

If we manage to keep hold of him we might be able to attract some more players of his level.
If he goes, how are we going to persuade any potential top quality player to come here?

Without him, who would be our best player?

Aubameyang was clearly a response to Sanchez going. We were losing our world class goalscorer and needed a new world class goalscorer.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say we actually upgraded as Sanchez was past it in 2018 lol

Thatā€™s true, although they donā€™t play in the same position, they were certainly both top attacking players.
Itā€™s still very rare though and when you think of all the world class players that have left, I canā€™t think of any other similar quality replacements coming in.

But the Sanchez and Aubameyang situation just highlights the fact that almost everything we do is reactionary rather than planned.
Most other top clubs would buy Aubameyang to play alongside a player like Sanchez rather than replace them, which seems to be our favoured approach.

Sanchez wanted out, Auba wants out that was not the club wish but it happens. We donā€™t have the big money of RM or the likes so we have to manage our situation as we move forward.
Thereā€™s no point trying to keep a player who wants out.

Think we need to realise the mess we are in here. We are 24 points behind Leicester right now. Think about that for a minute.
Itā€™s pretty drastic and thereā€™s a lot of blind faith knocking around on Arteta, the board and the size of the club freely getting players easily to join.
If any of them things are coming true itā€™s essential we get as much out of our only top player as we can.

1 Like

Itā€™s true Auba is our only top player but shouldnā€™t beā€¦Pepe was supposed to give the team a big boost but finds it hard to play ninety plus minutes. I wonder how long football games last in France?
Weā€™ve in this situation because the club allowed Wenger to dictate what he wants and then hired Emery who hadnā€™t the fuck idea how to play a team in the prem.
My point is Auba no fool and he may like Arsenal but we canā€™t offer CL football unless we win the EL. If he stays till the end of season things may have turned around and he may see the club going forwardā€¦who know

1 Like

Agree with that. My real fear is getting through this month without a big club coming in for him.
We are in such a precarious position now as a club itā€™s sickening.