Pep Guardiola

Well that’s a whole different argument. Mourinho could never do with Arsenal what Wenger did with Arsenal.

1 Like

He’s the best. But who cares?

1 Like

Yeah, GOAT manager debate is a really complex one. Even as a massive Mourinho and Wenger fan though, what Pep is doing is unbelievable.

He continues to set new standards. His teams have been the reference point for the past 15 years.

2 Likes

The argument that Manager A could never do what Manager B did at Club C is a poor one imho.

It’s a complete unknown, but we can ascertain what their success could be like, judging by their historical win % in their first and last 200 games at each club they managed.

That’d probably still put Pep well ahead of the pack. I truly believe, money or no money; he’d easily match or exceed Mourinho’s done at every club he’s been at.

Pep’s mentality is 2nd to none, he demands absolute perfection on and off the ball. City could well win 5-6 consecutive league titles here.

2 Likes

This is the Cruyff influence. Always reinventing and always challenging his players.
He actually delivers the message better because he’s only interested in the football side of things.

3 Likes

He would get spurs a trophy, no doubt about that.

giphy

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1660990337781727234?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA

1 Like

Neither would be able to do what Clough did with Derby and Nottingham Forest. :grinning:

If City get found guilty his reputation is done imo

https://twitter.com/notyoubentley/status/1661164265582088192?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

3 Likes

He’d still be the most sought after manager in world football though.
If you took all city’s trophies away his body of work and constant evolving of tactical play in his career has/is and will be a blueprint for years to come.

11 Likes

Yeh this isn’t going to affect his reputation in the slightest. He’s a coy motherfucker too, I think he’ll be long gone before the hammer drops. If he’s not in charge at the time of sentencing or punishment it will be easy for him to emotionally distance himself from any wrong doing and sports media aren’t savvy enough to try and make the connection after the fact and have him carry it with him.

It’s why I’m hoping for a quicker resolution, I’d like to see him have to face this bullshit head on, but even then the aftershock for him will be minimal

2 Likes

Maybe not in terms of a new job but in terms of how people assess his career? Certainly will.

He will always have barcelona and the best team we’ve ever seen but it would almost invalidate any success he’s had at city imo.

Tbh in my mind it’s invalid already because we all know they’re doing it, just a case of ether they’ll get caught and proven.

In a way it’ll be a shame because this city team have sent football into new levels but if it’s built on cheating then it’s irrelevant.

1 Like

Well this is kind of thing isn’t it, it’s clear as day and it’s not changed a damn thing. People are salivating over the City treble prospects. It was the same with the world cup, sure there will be a few puff pieces here and there trying to take the moral high ground but ultimately it will all fall on deaf ears and all that will remain will be the football.

It’s not going to change a damn thing unless the punishment is ultra severe. Honours stripped and relegated into oblivion.

Although I’m not going to hold my breath on that happening

6 Likes

A lot of that will also be whether or not the English media (in particular) really beats the drums on the incredible scale (“allegedly” :roll_eyes:) of cheating that has gone on and for how long it has been going on for. Enough continuing coverage of the story going on and more people will be coming around to for all of his managerial acumen, he hasn’t won anything at club that didn’t have either ridiculous advantages or at City, rampant cheating for a decade.

Might be the only way we get a title :joy:

Keep the faith.

Fair point about the WC, I mean even on here it was the same. Some outrage before and during, people claiming they won’t watch etc and by the end many describing it as the best WC they’ve seen.

As you say, reliant on an actual punishment. I’m not hopeful either but it’d be about fucking time.

1 Like

If he wins the treble, he’ll be gone within 18 months. Whether City are found guilty or not. His time is done here.

He’s won everything, so hopefully he just fucks off.

Would love it if he just leaves in the Summer out of the blue and the whole structure comes crashing down.

3 Likes

I don’t even think we’ll see the kinds of punishment handed out to Rangers and Juventus in the past, in spite of their big names.

Man City may be guilty of worse, but the English FA will chicken out like the pathetic organisation they are.

3 Likes

Of boringness. Yes.