Paul Merson

Love Merse. The raw talent. He was one of our greatest midfielders ever.

3 Likes

Merson > Rocky

1 Like

Definitely

1 Like

It’s hard for people to know now but Merse was a player like we had never had before.
A lot of players came through together at this time, but for me Merse was the catalyst and give us excitement that we had been starved of.
Best comparison I could make is with when we signed Sanchez.

5 Likes

Gotta agree with this.

I don’t even think Bergkamp gave that “spark” of excitement the likes of Merse and Sanchez did.

But I’ll try and avoid this becoming a Bergkamp v Merson debate.

1 Like

If Bergkamp signing didn’t excite you you’re nuts. I remember reading it on teletext and celebrating like mad. I don’t think there was a better player we could have realistically signed that summer.

I’m guessing he’s talking about instant impact on the field tbh.
Bergkamp was certainly a slow starter and it looked worrying at one stage.
Merse was just a breath of fresh air. Loved the way he ran with a ball.

1 Like

Exactly this tbh

If we’re drawing on comparisons, I’d probably say Kanchelskis v Cantona at United between 93 and 95 inclusive. Cantona the better player, but Kanchelskis gave them that x factor.

1 Like

Fair. I don’t remember Mersons instant impact given he made his debut when I was 4. :eyes:

1 Like

Oh yeah without doubt those first titles he was dynamite. Especially on the counter attack in away games.
One at Norwich on a Monday night always stands out.

1 Like

The magic man Merse was some player
Just gutted he didn’t fulfill his talent and potential.
Smudger ‘smith always said Merse was his best attacking partner he played with and merse knocked Linekar out of the park .
I can see Merson in Smith Rowe , if ESR can keep injury free then we have another player.
Merse was THE real deal , just a bastard his off field troubles took him away from his talent.

4 Likes

DCL + James Ward-Prowse = PL title?

Love The Merse.

Perhaps the most talented midfielder I’ve seen in my time supporting The Arsenal

2 Likes

Sometimes I like what Merson has to say, but DCL and James Ward Prowse making us PL contenders again is a straight up joke lol

4 Likes

What a brilliant brilliant player . One of the most naturally gifted players to play for The Arsenal.
If only he lived up to his potential.
When Merse talks about The Arsenal, I take note .

2 Likes

Absolutely not.

Her loss, Merse.

6 Likes

Yeah she really missed out there

Fuck me, that’s the most Merse-quote ever. :rofl:

He’s put a bet on hasn’t he before he asked her out.

1 Like