Paul Merson

3 Likes

Quality player , sadly didn’t achieve more , probably due to his ‘off’ field activities.
Nonetheless, a very skilful player .
We could do with him now , even if pissed up

3 Likes

I think ESR is quite similar to Merse with the way he dribbles

1 Like

Merse was better, but he didn’t have as good a nickname.

1 Like

The Magic Man is a much better nickname.

1 Like

Love it
He was , on his day , unplayable and you could throw the word genius in .

1 Like

2 Likes

So Merson doesn’t remember us getting battered by lower end sides under Emery, conceding 20-30 shots every game. Doesn’t remember that lifeless performance at Baku either.

Also, now Xhaka gets recognised?

4 Likes

Lucky Merse, wish I could say the same.

7 Likes

Thing is, mate, I don’t remember us losing 2 league games at home by a 3 goal deficit in the same season.

@Stroller
@JohnnyH
@Ashgooner1
@Kroenkeoutplease
@InvincibleDB10

Am I going back to the early 80s for the last time this happened?

On the other hand I don’t count crowdless games to be ‘home games’. The home crowd is what lifts the home team and initimates the opposition. They’re essentially neutral venues with zero atmosphere

We had 17 league losses in 94/95, albeit with 42 games. Leeds and QPR beat us 3-1 at home that season

1 Like

This is true.

Burnley, Leicester and Wolves (hiiissssss, boo!) hadn’t beaten us at home in the league since the 70s. They’re not beating us with a home crowd (Burnley was only a handful of fans before anyone points that out)

Conversely, we’re not beating Ya-nitid at The Swamp once they’ve got 70,000 Londoners packing out the place.

3 Likes

The most awful Arsenal game, ever, will always be the 6-0 against Chelsea. I find that one even worse than the 8-2.

1 Like
2 Likes

What a player Merson was or rather could have been . Naturally gifted and a very intelligent player , sadly his off field activities ruined his career .

2 Likes
3 Likes

Fair play :clap:

5 Likes

To be fair to Merson, he is often right in what he says. He just gets judged harshly because he isn’t articulate enough and gets the names of foreign players wrong.

5 Likes

The Roger Johnson comparison just gets me all the time.

1 Like