Patrick Vieira

If course we lost leadership and that toughness he brought to the pitch, I was only talking about the football aspect and our playing style.

1 Like
7 Likes

Best midfielder Arsenal have ever had

2 Likes

Not sure anyone can disagree tbh.

Always a bit tricky thinking about this guy without the constant flirtations with leaving, even in the summer of 2004. But there is no doubt he is a fundamental part of a history, an absolutely rock in midfield during one of our greatest periods

4 Likes

Most complete midfielder in PL history.

1 Like

With proper management Liam Brady could have run him close but alas Neil and Howe spoiled that.
Only fitting that another Paddy takes the crown.

2 Likes

Lol I like that. Good one

1 Like
2 Likes

Guy was the complete midfielder, would still be world class even in the modern game.

7 Likes

Vieira and Petit were the best CM partnership I’ve seen.
Both leaders and both winners playing for us.

2 Likes

I think what I liked about that pairing was they were both defensive and both attacking.

4 Likes

Love how the compilation starts with a couple of fights lol, He was an exceptional player, the kind you’d build your team around.

1 Like

Don’t think Petit gets enough recognition at times. Great player.

3 Likes

Pisses me off so much that these 2 never got us to even a CL semi.

On paper everything you need in midfield in that era.

9 Likes

Yeah exactly. Vieira was all about dominating the other teams players and always making his physical presence known. When you go back and watch these players you realise what arsenal has been missing since they’ve gone. Proper steel in the middle of the park.

4 Likes

I always acknowledged he was a great player.

I didn’t like him though.

2 Likes

We had a great defence, Vieira, Petit in front of them, with players like Overmars, Bergkamp and Anelka upfront and, although we won the double, we never got near to winning the CL which we should have done.

When we moved to the Emirates Wenger built a very light weight side with small technical players like Cesc, Cazorla, Rosickjy, Wilshere, Arshavin, Sanchez etc, but no real power playing with them.

The successful sides Wenger had, when he first came here had tall, powerful players, as well as being mentally and physically strong, and as soon as he moved away from that, we became less successful.

2 Likes

Hopefully Partey can be half the player this guy was for us, absolute beast of a player.

2 Likes