Patrick Vieira

I think this would be worse than Emery.

I think I’d totally switch off if we appointed Vieira.

8 Likes

Would be a weird and shit appointment. Probably makes total sense to the board though.

2 Likes

I think the board are thinking they’ll score brownie points by giving the job to an ex-Gooner, which shows how out of touch they truly are. The fans want a proven entity or an exciting appointment not some hack of a manager who tried to engineer his way out of the club on an annual basis.

7 Likes

Fuck no to this.

As great as Vieira was as a player, he always felt like he had his eye on a “big” move. He’s a legend, but not the type that I think fits the bill for getting a bit of a dispensation when it comes to being manager.

And yeah, he’s evidently not that great a manager anyway. And it’s underwhelming as fuck.

4 Likes

I’m 100% more excited to see how Arteta or Ljungberg do in the Arsenal job than Vieira

3 Likes

No need to wonder; he’s exactly the same stylistically and skill-wise as Pep.

7 Likes

Can we just abandon this old boys network nonsense and get in the real world. Starting to sound inbred this club.

9 Likes

I said this about various appointments in the club already. Mert and Edu are very suspect appointments. Not shocking they’d bring that fuckery to the manager spot

It’s a sad attempt to placate the fans with likeable players.

2 Likes

French publication… never heard of it… clickbait.

6 Likes
1 Like

Best Arsenal midfielder ever

2 Likes

Always wondered about the alternate reality of keeping Vieira and playing him in a midfield 3 with Fabregas and Gilberto. I suppose he was 31, but he still had plenty of quality we missed

1 Like

If Vieira never leaves, Cesc probably doesn’t get his break through…not at Arsenal at least.

1 Like

Cesc makes it no matter what I reckon.

2 Likes

Agreed.

We were playing direct, penetrative football with Vieira.

Would have made no sense giving that place up if we still had him on the books

What a player this guy was, absolute beast.

1 Like

Such a sight to see him in full flight…

Even with all the creativity Cesc brought to the team, and I loved Cesc, I always felt we lost something with Vieira leaving (taking his pure defensive side away)…
We lost the directness, the fluidity he was bringing to the team. I mean his ability to break the oponnents attack and spot the players up front immediately and give the ball to them was the hartbeat of our football. He made it looks so simple. His vision and creativity often went overlooked. Better than a guy like Modric in that department imo. Insanely intelligent player (that’s why it’s an insult to him to compare Diaby to him). And he is probably the best/most skilful ball winner/tackler I saw. Such a brilliant ability to win the ball without a foul with those soft long long legs.

I always felt we lost the leadership and strong characters in the squad once Vieira left and subsequently the rest of the invincibles squad. Reflecting back. Not sure how Gallas won captaincy over Gilberto either.

Cesc being captain was always questioned. Even here on the old OA (What a time that was). That team frequently folded when the chips were down.

2 Likes

I agree.
Vieira and players like Adams were the reason we were so hard to beat.
They were leading a team full of winners like Keown, Lauren, Gilberto, Henry, Bergkamp etc, who had similar strengths.
When Wenger dismantled that great team and replaced them with players that were physically light weight and mentally weak was when we stopped being great.

We have no leaders and there is no one at the club that comes close to being captain material like either of these players.