Pablo Marí

I was on board with the signing. It seemed like one of those “oh where did that guy come from”

He’d left (or washed out at) City, went to Brazil and played for a team that won their continental trophy. It’s not too shabby. He is pretty tall and iirc he’s left footed.

I think that injury added some mystery to who he was as a player. The same way Diaby would grow in stature and ability when he was injured until he was a Jesus Christ/Harry Potter/Superman regen.

I do think that deal, the Cedric deal, the Willian deal and the Pepe and Saliba deals were all shady as fuck though.

3 Likes

Natural finisher!

In all seriousness, he seems to have done well there. I hope they hand us 5m this summer and we can all agree to forget he was ever an Arsenal player.

3 Likes

Linked with Hellas Verona.

Always like Mari, think hes a good back up, I think the problem with him is that he wants to be a starter.
Cant see any other reason why we would want to sell.

1 Like

Are we talking about the same guy that lost his place at CB to Kolasinac?

8 Likes

Can only comment on what I see.

I dont remember him losing his place to Kola to be honest.

He did earlier in the season. Kola was on the verge of leaving but Mari was so bad that Arteta used Kola at LCB.
He had a howler against Lukaku in the Chelsea game and that was pretty much the end of his career at Arsenal.
I think he only played for Arsenal again once since then in a League Cup game and that’s probably because Kola got fucked during an international game.
He wasn’t even making the squad before he went to Udinese.

3 Likes

If we got rid of every player who made a mistake whilst playing for us we wouldnt have a team left fella.

What?

If we got rid of every player who made a mistake whilst playing for us we wouldnt have a team left fella.

2 Likes

Yeah, what does that have to do with this?

You implied that a mistake against Chelsea was the end of his career at Arsenal?
I replied to say if we moved everyone on who made a mistake whilst playing for us we wouldnt have a team left.

Not sure why I’m having to remind you of what you wrote not more than 40 minutes ago?

His whole performance that day was a howler.
And again, you’re not getting the point.
Arteta, the guy that he signed under, stopped trusting him and used a LB that’s known to be a shit defender and was shown the door over him the next few games before he got injured.
Mari was rarely even making the bench after that, even for League Cup games.

So let’s get back to the original point you made:

Are we really talking about Mari here?

I stand by that lol, ive seen him play and trust what I watch over whatever anyone else wants to try and tell me.
Nuno Tavares was signed under Arteta, has made mistakes, but has played again and wont be sold because of the errors he made so your point is redundant.

Mari is a good defender, he was bought as a back up but I think he wants to play every week hence why hes looking to move.

He was good backup a year or two ago. He ain’t leaving because he’s not a starter, he’s leaving because the manager thinks he’s shit.

Him not even making League Cup matchday squads says it all.

1 Like

Well the truth is we will never know why hes leaving, if he does, because we are not Mikel Arteta or Edu.
So we will have to rest upon our own opinions on why we think hes leaving…and I think hes leaving as he wants first team football.
:+1:

1 Like

He somehow managed to be the only CB in the entire PL to make Lukaku look competent this season. Shambles.

Despite only playing a dozen or so games for us, this guy’s name will probably be remembered amongst the legends like Squillaci, Cygan, Luzhny and co. There are punts you take as a club, and then there’s a Mari level punt. Could be used as an indicator for the future:
“From 0 to Mari, how much of a punt do you think we’re taking on xyz?” “Surely it’s not a Mari level punt. May be just a Pepe level one”.

1 Like

Pablo Mari was pointless and a signing that should’ve never been made permanent.

5 Likes

Wasn’t that bad, he cost like 10m and had a decent stretch of games when he first came into the team but the start of this season lives in everyone’s minds.

Shift him on because we have Saliba.