Our Upcoming Fixtures

Normally I’d agree but once bitten twice shy.

Do you remember when Wenger got a touchline ban and Bouldy was effectively our manager from the bench? He won the first game handsomely and lost the second at Stamford Bridge (the one in which Hazard just walked through our team to score)

I know it’s not quite the same (if rumours are to be believed, Ljungberg picked the team yesterday whereas when Bould took charge, it was still under the supervision of Wenger, if you will)

Give Ljungberg more control over the team line up and make him assistant manager. Emery needs competition for his job from within to make him learn from Ljungberg as Ljungberg will learn from him.

So are we now believing the rumour that Ljungberg is in charge of the cup games?

Or do we still dismiss it?

I’m just wondering if there’s been any more news on it in the media

Unless it was in Emerys contract that this could happen it would effectively amount to constructive dismissal. Its made up Twitter bollocks.

Even when we were turning to shit in the league last season we were still putting in decent to great efforts in the Europa.

4 Likes

Said quite sometime back in the Next Manager thread. Seems very illogical to have invested so much into the development of Ljungberg’s managerial career over the years and then allow him to leave to become a manager elsewhere. I’m 95% certain he’ll be the man to take over from Emery when time comes, but the strange decisions we generally take, one can never be really sure.

I believe anything as long as it is convenient to my Emery agenda

1 Like

Would it be in Emery’s contract that there would not be an assistant manager seems strange.

Assistant manager, yes. Usurpent manager, no.

Are assistant managers userpent I suppose to a degree yes because they need to step in if needed. Confident managers have nothing to fear

In general no. What is being suggested the arrangement is for Freddie then definitely.

That may be the view Emery takes but this is about the club and it’s bigger than any individual especially a manager who is struggling to manage his team in the prem.

There was a time we all thought Tony Adams was going to be manager. Similar with Veira and Henry.
It’s nice in theory but something else In reality. Youth coaching really isn’t anything to measure things on either.
Where guilty of inventing a bit of a myth here closing our eyes and seeing Freddie the player the winner and mixing them together.

Maybe but if things go badly for Emery to the point he’s out the door I would rather have Freddie in a position to take over smoothly until a decision is made about the next manager. At present the team looks rudderless.

Stewart Houston style then.

Not with you ?

When George Graham got the sack mid season he stepped in and took is to a CWC final before Bruce Rioch was appointed.

1 Like

Yes then I agree

Big part of a move like this though is player leadership.
Chelsea CL win was the epitome of it. That’s probably a bigger part of the transition you need more than the temporary appointment for me. Not sure we have that with these players.
In some ways might be better sticking with Emery if where around the four as he Carrys the can and some of the younger players don’t become higher profile targets if the assistant struggles.

2 Likes

Well yes the assistant could struggle as much as the manager it’s an unknown situation. But we do know Emery is struggling so having a stand in to hold the fort may be prudent. I would like Emery to succeed but it’s not looking promising at present.
With a confident back line things may change but I would still have Freddie as assistant manager to add that voice in Emery’s ear that he looks like he needs.

2 Likes

Assistant to the manager

2 Likes