Other Clubs' Transfers

Kepa is such a great name for a keeper

Goalkepa

2 Likes

I don’t understand all the negativity
most Arsenal fans wanted change and we have got it. New manager, new team at the club in Sven and Raul

Sven has had two windows to make changes. Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang and Mavropanos in January and new contract for Ozil started to rectify the bad situation we found ourselves in with Alexis.

This summer we have done our key business early for a change (look at the mess Utd are in atm) - I’m really pleased with Torreira (we have needed a DM for so long) and Guendouzi has looked really good in pre-season. Sokratis and Lichtsteiner add some much needed experience to our defence. Leno
I’m still to be convinced by, but is likely an upgrade on Ospina.

There are still two days to go
Dembélé would be amazing, but would settle for a new contract for Rambo and selling a few more of our fringe players and getting rid of some deadwood to build some funds for the January window or next summer).

We were never going to be able to completely turn things around in one or two transfer windows but we have a good team which we can now continue to add quality too. Attack wise, we are up there with the best. The business so far this summer rebalances the team a little, but we are still a top quality CB and a GK short of being able to challenge for the league.

This season we need to secure CL football. Then secure quality additions, then look to challenge
you can’t eat an elephant in one go!

5 Likes

You always want to invest smartly. But when the gap with other clubs is so large, smart only goes so far.

Transfermarkt’s data is not the final word on these things but it’s a useful broad measure of the state of the roster. The basic fact is that our roster is estimated to be worth 520M while our five major competitors all have rosters in the 750-950M range. When that’s the case, smart signings on a small budget aren’t going to make a dent in the near term. Give it 3-4 years of a smartly managed club and some good luck, then maybe we’re able to compete for major honors.

2 Likes

Fuck yasss, don’t worry lads let them all do what they want
WERE GETTING DEMBELEEEEEEE!!

1 Like

I agree with this. The reality is we’re still suffering from poor investment choice made by Wenger

I feel its compounded by the new people turning Arsenal into second chance city and not generating funds through ruthless outgoings

5 Likes

I agree with your analysis although I think the new team is in a bind because I’m sure there is lots of pressure from ownership to get back into the CL this year. So the smart long term play is probably to avoid players like Sokratis and instead spend on higher ceiling younger players. But in the short term there is pressure to get back into the CL and to do that you need experienced players who can help you grind out results. I think the current summer’s transfer strategy reflects an attempt to balance these two competing prerogatives (build for longer term, increase competitiveness in the short term) but its hard to do both. There are not that many players like Torreira that are (a) young (b) good enough to help you right now and © not ridiculously expensive or on the radars of bigger spending clubs.

4 Likes

Arsenal’s new team of player negotiations seems as inept as the previous (read: Wenger) at offloading players not needed.

Looks like Arsenal’s business is done for the window.

And we’re rectifying that with more poor investment? (Leno, Sokratis, potentially Vida)

Early business does not mean good business. Yes change was needed and yes of course i’m going to be hopeful that we’ll pull off a miracle. But let’s face it, If Chelsea pull off the signings they’re being linked with they’ll be way out in front of us along with with Man City and Liverpool.

Half of our signings have been mediocre at best. Leno is not even better than Stoke’s goalkeeper, let alone anywhere to close to our top 4 rivals.

Champions League football is going to be a massive ask. We’ll probably going to be relying on the likes of Man United collapsing under Josù in order to get a CL place, because our defence is barely top 10 worthy, let alone worthy of top 4!

The new team has already fed Coquelin, Giroud, Perez and Walcott to the pigs and found a positive solution for the Alexis mess. I’m still happy with that.

15 Likes

To be honest some of these remaining guys are absolute dross, the guys have done a good job so far.

Can easily see why some are hesitant to take these mugs off our hands.

8 Likes

Yeah, if anything losing dead weight is ThreeFidsADay’s strong point. Likely lacks vision or much of any interesting idea as a sporting director but in terms of working efficiently, pushing necessary deals through, and using his contacts in the game he’s an upgrade on the previous.

I mean, Joel Campbell obviously should’ve been sold in 15-16 when he had some value–or before 13-14 when he was coming off of a nice loan spell at Betis and still had the general reputation of a somewhat promising young player. But then Wenger.

1 Like

Why are people moaning? Did you really expect to splash the cash once Wenger left? Unfortunately, we still have a greedy board and a greedy owner. At least we have a competent tactical manager now. One step at time to rebuild.

71 mil for a keeper are a farce, tbh.

@Phoebica, barely top 10 worthy? So are we getting relegated just for our defence? Should have we kept Wenga? I rest my case with some of you.

8 Likes

Just realised Justin Kluivert is playing for Roma, and was sold for a pretty low 17.5m euros. Wasn’t he made out to be a big talent? Why such a low fee?

Not cool :bellerin:.

1 Like

Our youth are nowhere near talented enough for that to happen.

One year contract. Raiola. Forced move.

I think he isn’t such a big talent btw. Roma might just be his ceiling. If he succeeds in the first place.