Other Clubs' Transfers

Goalkeepers; Cech, Ospina

Defenders; Bellerin, Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, Koscielny, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos, Mustafi, Monreal, Kolasinac

Midfielders; Ramsey, Elneny, Wilshere, Xhaka, Ozil

Forwards; Aubemeyang, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Iwobi

Right now we’re at 22 players without youth players or players who come back from loan. Without selling they should be able to at least add a midfielder and forward. If targets are identified there is really no reason to wait in order to sell first. We have a small squad.

I mean you’ve missed out Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Willock and Nketiah who will all be in th squad next year - and some of whom were last year.

Need to bin a midfielder (Wilshere) and add some real quality there. Assume Ospina out the door too so a young, future star is needed coming the other way.

I’m not 100% sure Emery will consider them proper squad options and give them (a lot of) minutes. What is his track record with developing youth anyway?

When you look at that squad, there are very few top quality players.

We have a new manager, new recruiting staff and there should be a least two marquee signings going into the new season.

As a, supposedly, top European club, we should be doing this anyway, because all our rivals will be.

We’ve been out of the top four two seasons in a row, and this is the transfer window where we are going to find out who was responsible for our lack of spending and exactly how ambitious our board are.

Our defence is a shambles.
Mertesacker has retired and Kos looking unlikely to be able to play a whole season, if at all.
Then we have Mustafi, who might stay but needs to up his game.
After those two Chambers and Holding look adequate but are they good enough for a top European club?
So basically we need some serious investment, but going by the rumours, we are looking at defenders that are adequate rather than top quality.

We also need a GK, but that looks unlikely and a CM and a winger.

How many of these positions will be filled and, if they are, what sort of quality will they be?

A lack of investment and a reliance on players that weren’t good enough has got us into this mess.

Do the board want the best for the club and supporters or are they happy drifting around in the Europa League places?

I think that because we are one of the most profitable clubs in Europe, despite our league position, they will do the bare minimum in this window and get maybe one marquee player, just to shut the supporters up, and then let Emery get on with it, while we watch all our rivals invest a lot more and pull even further away.

1 Like

Reports suggest he has a good record for developing youth and giving them a chance. But I haven’t studied his time at Sevilla to know too much of which young players he developed there.

In looking at PSG though, Kimpembe – arguably their best defender now and Lo Celso come to mind.

1 Like

Mario Ballotelli!

Oh why always us :man_facepalming:

lololololol

Why would we ever be in for Balotelli when we have Lacayang/Aubamazette?

1 Like

He wants to go back to Serie A. No chance to see him in England again.

https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1001709672292855808

Of course he wants to leave, I would too if I was getting blamed for CL exits instead of the dumbass behind me/to my right

The way Müller goes unscathed is just typical, they tried to blame James too.

3 Likes

Balotelli can play on every position up front. I’m not against signing him but it would be a big question mark. Which Balotelli would we be getting? But these are probably bullshit rumours.

Very good according to the stuff I’ve read re his time at Valencia / Sevilla.

2 Likes

There is no way we are buying Balotelli.
We already have two strikers and there are several other positions we are desperate to fill before thinking about buying someone who’s record is volatile, to say the least.

No other top club would touch him with a barge pole, so why should we?

It’s very hard to find examples in his Sevilla squads…

@Phoebica Lo Celso was a purchase.

I know nothing about Lo Celso so I’m not championing that as a positive example Emery can take credit for, but just because he was a purchase doesn’t mean he can’t be used as an example of Emery developing youth.

If he’s young and Emery benefited his development then it is relevant.

Liverpool sign Fabinho, Manchester City sign Jorginho we have Nobodinho :upside_down_face:

https://twitter.com/FourFourTweet/status/1001795536373080065?s=19

3 Likes

Think you’re forgetting we’re about to wrap up Sokratinho M8

6 Likes

Lichsteinho too.

3 Likes

Imo young players are a bit different from youth players. The former often have a bit of first team experience already. Lo Celso played 50+ games for his club.