Oleksandr Zinchenko (35)

I watched him a ton last season and he’s essentially the Spanish Tierney to me. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the game

1 Like

Yeah the fee seems steep. However, throwing in what we signed White for from the same club last season, the price of cod since then, etc etc, it’s probably about right.

He’s a much better creator than Tierney and also better technically, very wavy dribbler or the ball.

That’s not the kind of comp I’d make personally

I’m more surprised they let us buy before agreeing the replacement. Puts more pressure on them and better bargaining position for Brighton or whoever else they end up negotating with.

Tierney on his day was a baller tbf. So I’ll take that as a good thing.
I personally rate him quite highly.

You’re right that wasn’t too bright.

I’d be making us wait until the end of the window if that’s what it takes to secure the replacement if I was them.

Every single time I’ve watched him it’s run to the by line cut backs. Very similar to that awful period where Tierney was our only creative outlet.

Real basic, boring stuff. Though I don’t put Potter up on some pedestal and find his football generally lacking dynamism and flair.

Not saying Cucarella can’t evolve to be more under Pep, he almost certainly will. Zinchenko is simply a more attractive player to my eye.

Head down and dribble to the by line just ain’t it for me

1 Like

Don’t know how many games that was but like I said he’s much more than that and his games is more refined with the added flair.

Tierney can’t chat to him with regard to creating chances and looks like he has just the one whip on him, more strings to Cucarella’s bow, Pep is no mug.

1 Like

Cucarella’s a good player and I wanted us to sign him because I didn’t think he would cross 25m.
He doesn’t have much pace in him.

Pretty much every time Brighton were on TV. I don’t follow other leagues closely but I watch the shit out of the EPL.

Look I’m not trying to disrespect him as a player. There was a period people were convinced Tierney was one of the best left backs on the league. Raw pace power and pashun, now I have no doubt Cucarella can be even more refined than that. I just think it speaks to the dearth of talent at full back when a player like this is going for £50m after one pretty good season in the EPL.

Pep is no slouch you’re right, but Zinchenko out for Cucarella plus money, well that’s one of the few times I have to raise my eyebrow at him. I assume most of this was to do with wages rather than footballing reasons

I think Zinchenko is a good signing for us but I also think that some may see why when given an extended run in our team why he ultimately couldn’t make it at City.

Cucarella is different gravy IMO especially if playing for City, give man two seasons and you’d see.

Couldn’t make it at City is a lot more harsh than me calling Cucarella run of the mill lmao.

Both him and Jesus won the league for fun with City and were pivotal components of these campaigns, sure they featured through rotation at times but that’s just City’s MO.

Once again if it weren’t for the wage issues I’m sure that city would have been very happy to retain the services of both.

By not making it I meant he couldn’t convince Pep that he was the long term solution, Walker is dropping off so now would be the time for Pep to say yo this your spot but it didn’t go that way. Clearly he was a good squad player though

Think Jesus is bit of a different case as he was starting over half of their league games which is more than Zinchenko was getting.

It can be true that Zinchenko is a good signing for us and also Cucarella being a good one for them if not great.

I hear it, I like it

8 Likes

Was that his chant at City? I can’t imagine Arsenal fans being creative enough to come up with that for game 1 :joy:

Loved his debut.

LM, CM. Anywhere on the left is fine. He works his socks off, has a high technical level and reads the game well. We’re gonna enjoy him.

yeah he was great, especially first half, he looked more comfortable with Artetaball than the rest of the team even though he joined 5 mins ago :sweat_smile: (for natural reasons). Same can be said for Jesus.

He can’t defend! Let’s not be blinded. Ayew was ripping him in the second half. He offers so much going forward though. Brilliant on the ball. Looked a level above most of our team technically.

There are definitely games where I’d rather see Tierney at LB.

4 Likes

He’s not supposed to :sweat_smile: (I mean, ish)

1 Like

Tierney isn’t much of a defender himself though just a bit more rugged than Zinchenko. But he gets eaten alive in 1v1s for fun like Zinchenko does too.

But if I’m picking the better defender it’s Tierney just not by a large margin. What Zinchenko brings to our overall play is so much more
Important that I can overlook him being a substandard defender.

Soon as Tierney came on you could immediately feel the technical level drop off

1 Like