Next manager

These are the guys I would go for now:

• Rodgers
  • Ten Hag (although I don’t want him to leave Ajax)
  • Ancelotti

Who I would not go for and would be really upset with:

• Arteta
  • Freddie

Both zero experience, yet are somehow heralded by posters as a viable option. Just fucking no, let them prove it somewhere else first.

Who I would stop watching Arsenal for if he becomes the manager:

• Wenger
6 Likes

I think Freddie until we get a new manager or the end of season would be acceptable.

3 Likes

But no Ole shit, where he gets a string of good results and is offered a contract only for us to end up mid-table again.

2 Likes

These managers would be right at the top of my list.
All proven at the top level and all attainable if we have the ambition and urgency to get it done.
Although I’m not sure ambition and urgency qualities our board know anything about.

2 Likes

I don’t mind Freddie getting it on a caretaker basis but the search for a permanent successor should start immediately and if it turns out to be Allegri and he’s willing to come in right away that’s what should happen. I’m sure you don’t disagree with that, I just don’t personally like the idea that if we bin Emery we have to wait until the summer to get the next guy, there’s too much time in between and ultimately I think that’s the trap united fell into with ole. I’m certain it would happen here too because if some feel good factor returned Raul and co would want to make the most of it.

2 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but I’m assuming anyone on the Freddie train is obviously doing it with the caveat that the club sees him as a competent coach with the work he’s done, and know he could get the respect of the players.

Solskjaer is perhaps not an ideal comparison as he’s relatively experienced. I think Tim Sherwood is a better one. Not the best coach, but he brought some life into some miserable players, did the common sense thing in bringing shunned players out of the cold and letting them prove a point as well as using young players he knew could handle it.

Craig Shakespeare is another good one.

I think there’s definitely something to be gained from making your caretaker someone already involved in the day to day of the club who is known and liked by the players if you’re unable to get a permanent hire in straight away. Just because people are employed by Arsenal while Emery is the manager doesn’t mean that they all think what he’s doing is brilliant and they wouldn’t completely change it.

My only worry would be ruining the relationship like Spurs did with Sherwood. But then they were flirting with giving him the job and then dumped him so you can understand him wanting to go after that.

5 Likes

Oh yeah totally, if Freddie only managed 5 games before another manager came in that we wanted - so be it. @Forever

Totally not an issue, that’s what I’m all about. But if the manager we wanted couldn’t start until June or something then sure, let Freddie see it out but I wouldn’t want him to do an Ole’s at the wheel.

2 Likes

I think that’s most people’s opinion but what happens if it’s just as bad under Freddie though. Every chance it could do and this is something I share with @Forever.

2 Likes

I would like Allegri, Ten Hag, Rodgers, in that order. From that list, Allegri might be the only possibility right now as Ten Hag has already ruled himself out of the Bayern job saying he wants to stay at Ajax for the season and Rodgers just joined Leicester in Feb and might owe them some loyalty to at least see the season out.

So either we get Allegri now, or we give Freddie the job, but we have to make a contract with Allegri now cause who knows where we will finish under Freddie and Allegri might not want us in the summer.

Realistically, Emery will see the season out and maybe then we get Ten Hag, cause I doubt Allegri will still be available.

The advantage of having Ljundberg at this time of the season is that we will know for sure if he is suitable or not.

If we finish in the top three, sort out our defence and maybe win a trophy, then we will have seen him not only sort out the mess Wenger and Emery have left but also earn himself a permanent contract, because he will have done it for more than half the season.

But if he drags us down to mid table, and we are no better off, then we haven’t lost much apart from not being in a European competition most supporters aren’t that interested in.

If that does happen, then another advantage would be that the board would really have to sit up and take notice, and be pushed into going for the best manager available rather than a lazy, cheap option.

The worst scenario is if we have a good run at the end of the season and scrape a top four place and get to the final of the EL.
The board would feel vindicated in keeping hold of him and would probably give him a new contract.

If we go to Freddie and we look somewhere between poor and bad the club will look totally clueless though.
As for demanding getting a top coach from there your falling down the pecking order with a lot of bigger clubs likely on the look out next season.
Real, Barca, Bayern, United we can’t keep playing this London card.
It maybe the gamble left to us but it’s a crapshoot.

2 Likes

With Man U, spurs, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and several other top clubs possibly changing managers, I would think we will get left way behind if we are genuinely interested in Allegri.
Our board are far too slow with decision making to go for a top proven manager like that.

But I do think Ten Hag is a possibility and would suit our board more than Allegri or Mourinho, who would demand much more of a transfer budget as well as wanting more control of the running of the club.

If Freddie got us into top four and the EL final with a win then I would give him a two year contract. It’s difficult to say what the future of Freddie would be as a manager next season but he will have taken this club forward from Emery and that’s something to cheer.

1 Like

I don’t rate Enrique much man, don’t think he’s what we need.

1 Like

That’s a pipe dream at the moment though. It could actually get worse.

It could always get worst and every appointment is a pipe dream really.

I would just ask if you really understand how bad it is right now then :arteta:

I’m in a bit of a panic about the prospect of Freddie getting it even on a short term basis.

It seems the team has just got worse since he’s got involved and we’re losing leads now like it’s all they’re being coached on doing.

2 Likes

Maybe not a shit job, but both have done more than enough to be better than accepting a job with the 4th club of England.

Nagelsmann or ten Hag would be decent.

2 Likes