Next manager

I’ve heard a few people mention Bielsa and I’m ok with him.
If he can get a promoted team like Leeds, with very few players that would get in our first team, above us in the PL, then why not?

When Wenger was at his peak, I wouldn’t swap him for any other PL manager.
We now have Arteta, who I would swap for any other PL manager.

2 Likes

Our next appointment is so crucial, I feel it either has the potential to really get us right back on track or push us further into mediocrity, it’s. A very fine line at the moment… I fear the latter will happen though.

Exactly.
We have the players to challenge for a top four place and, with the right manager, we can get there.

The problem is, if we don’t and Arteta drags us down even further, we won’t be able to keep any decent players we have and any players or managers we’re after will avoid us.

1 Like

As long as our next manager isn’t that fraud Potter, I can sleep easy.

3 Likes

You just broke Twitter. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Who the DOF is, is more important than the coach imo.

They’re both valuable, but Chelsea have shown that a coach is dispensable. If you nail the recruitment of players, having a revolving door of coaches until you find the ‘right’ one probably works out cheaper in the long term.

8 Likes

Unless we’re getting an elite manager I’d just rather persist with Arteta probably.

If we appoint another crumb it’ll just be a cycle of paying out managers 2 years early all the time with no real improvement in results.

In saying that Arteta absolutely must go very close or get top 4 with no European football to contend with, if he can’t just pay him out the final year as enough is enough.

If we can lure a top quality manager then we should go all out, yes I was all for giving Arteta a go and I’m taking an L on that ATM, but I did prefer us to get Tuchel, Naggelsman or Poch.

1 Like

Do Chelsea even have a sporting director? To me it seems like they still have “managers”, and then they just throw a lot of money at whatever problems they have.

1 Like

Isn’t it that chick ? Can’t remember her name.

Marina Granovskaia, she took over Emenalo’s responsibilities

I know who she is, but she doesn’t have the title “sporting director” or “director of football”.
She seems to be more about the commercial aspects. No background whatsoever in football.

I know they technically call them “coaches” instead of “managers” at Chelsea, but they certainly seem to act more like the latter. They pick the playing style, they decide if they want to use their academy or not, and they identify the players they want to sign.

Maybe I’ve completely misunderstood it.

She definitely runs the show at Chelsea, the best equivalent I can think of would be Gazidis at Arsenal before he left and his CEO role to split into two.

Post Mourinho, Conte & Sarri experience the club shifted their focus towards their academy talent which played a role in Lamps getting the job.

There are instances where the HC get’s players he requests but recruitment at Chelsea has always been driven by senior management mostly. Lampard didn’t request the likes of Werner or Havertz

If nothing, he will make us very very entertaining to watch. Watched Leeds beat Spurs yesterday and I can’t remember being that entertained in an entire season of watching the shit football we play.

Having said that, they looked suspect defensively. Bielsa would be a fun manager initially, but after a while of having us play good stuff but still lose games, kind of like under Wenger, the fans will start to lose patience with him.

4 Likes

One of the more promising managers, De Zerbi, is on the move. He signed two years for Shakthar.

1 Like

Woah. I wonder if Sassuolo are breaking the team up a bit?

1 Like

He was exposed a bit this year took some bad beatings, im not too high on him at this point.

1 Like

The best managers available are currently unemployed anyway. It would be better for the club, to go for some of those. Either that or try some of the ones who aren’t under long term contracts/or currently working for rich PL clubs.

Maybe I should just accept that Arteta really will be here next season, and never even bother discussing potential new managers.

4 Likes

Inter 0-3 and Atalanta 5-1? That can happen in a season. Not sure that is something to beheld against him.

Perhaps, but I think Chelsea was quite a unique situation, an owner willing to spend anything and a massive FFP allowance from being transfer banned for a season.

If you buy the world’s most promising players regardless of the price tag that are sought after by everyone, it’s less likely to go wrong than a cheaper player no one’s heard of.

Inb4 someone mentions Pepe:
A) that’s only 1 player, how many did Chelsea buy?
B) He may be bad value at 70m but he is one of our best players atm, and should only get better
C) Werner has hardly set the world alight so far and he cost 50m

So I’m not disputing recruitment staff aren’t important, just that I would’ve lined up all the same players they got as targets based on FM and the media, sign me up! :joy:

1 Like

Imagine if we had got Ancelotti or Nagelsmann instead of Arteta…

I still genuinely believe that we should sack Vinai the Vorm first…otherwise it will be rinse and repeat.

1 Like