Newcastle vs Arsenal (PL) (FFFFUUUUUUCCCKKKK)

Was just musing to myself reading some latest in this forum how everything is so Mikel-centric, but the thing is we do have players also, and regardless of Arteta, we support the players and hope for the best on the pitch. I think that’s where you are going to look a bit out of place over-egging things pre-match. We support the players, some good characters in the squad, and we want them to win, and be happy. COYG.

Agree and they could be doing so much better with a good coach/manager.

Just win please. Ta.

4 Likes

Will get in from work around six, an hour on the bike, walk the dog…nice set of distractions to take me to near kick off

1 Like

Are people as nervous for his as the NLD?

Worried

1 Like

Probably not. I’m now expecting us to miss top 4. Before the NLD I was hopeful we could get something but the manner of the defeat is just left me feeling like it won’t happen for us.

3 Likes

Same and I have such a busy day as well :face_vomiting:

The worst part is all this waiting until the game, then if we win IT’S STILL NOT OVER as we’ll still have to win against Everton.

This season has felt so fucking long Jesus Christ.

No matter what happens I’ll just be happy it’s over.

3 Likes

Im opting for beer and weed in the absence of a dog and bicycle :joy:

8 Likes

No, 2 matches left in the season.
Gotta enjoy this. :muscle:

1 Like

Busy is kinda good though, might distract you. For me, every morning this week is taken up by the fundraising departmental conference, so its not even like I can throw myself into some tasks, I’ve got to sit here for three hours listening to people waffle about the past financial year. So I’ll just be spending 3 hours thinking about tonight’s match as a result lol

1 Like

God that sounds like hell

Really not looking forward to this. I hate monday night football at the best of times but even more so consideirng what’s on the line.

Have a horrid feeling this will be like the performance away to Palace

3 Likes

Today will be fun.

Loved this part on Arseblog today

…They don’t need be motivated any further than that. But if they did, if there’s something the manager can say to give them that extra few percent, something that might make the difference in what could be a tight game this evening, there’s plenty for Mikel Arteta to work with before he sends his players out this evening.

I’d remind them of the opening game of the season when we had Covid cases, including our two senior strikers, but were still made to play, and when we lost the Sky Sports pundits laughed and cavorted with the Brentford fans like it was some kind of light entertainment show from the London palladium. I’d reference those first three defeats and how nobody expected them to be in this position.

I’d show them that clip of the Sky Sports transfer ‘guru’ laughing and gurning at the Tomiyasu signing. I’d show them video footage of James McArthur booting Saka and not getting sent off. I’d tell them how we’re the only team in the Premier League to have had a player’s face stood on in full view of the referee and VAR and for them to take no action. I’d highlight the Gabriel Martinelli sending off at Wolves, the likes of which nobody has seen before or since, and the Martinelli goal against Brighton being ruled out for offside when they couldn’t conclusively have seen if it was offside or not.

The Man City game at home when VAR worked for them, but not for us. The furore over the postponement of the North London derby when we were accused and vilified in the media for doing nothing more than almost every other club did at some point. The rise of the weirdo celebration police who had nothing to say about other teams enjoying their victories, but who couldn’t wait to mouth off about Arsenal … time after time.

I’d harness the still simmering pain of the derby, and I’d highlight the fantastic connection that has grown between the fans and the team this season. The songs that have been sung, the support, the sense of unity, the us against them mentality that has been fostered because of the outside influences on and off the pitch. I would tell them how much ‘they’ don’t want us to do it. And finally, most importantly, I would remind them of games and performances this season which show us that we can do what it takes away from home when the pressure is on. We might be down to the bare bones and running on fumes at this stage, but it’s time to dig deep, push hard, and use all of that motivation on top of everything else to do what it takes tonight.
COME ON YOU REDS.

13 Likes

It’s painful to look back on this season, and all that shit that we got. And people wonder why Arsenal fans seem to have this persecution complex.

3 Likes

Worried

2 Likes

Roll it back!

I understand the sentiment and we’ve been run ragged and raw this season by terrible officiating, bad luck and just simple ineptitude that boarders on the corrupt.

However saying that I don’t think Mikel and the team need to bathe themselves in those tears to find motivation tonight.

For me it’s all about the future of the club, the future of a young manager and a young squad. That future absolutely has to be rubbing elbows with European elites in the CL with really grand designs on winning it. A future both players and the fans can revel in.

The simple truth of the matter is these terrible decisions have hurt me just as much as I’m sure they’ve hurt any fan, but saying that we have two games that are completely within our own destiny to win and take this club back to where it should be. If we can’t take 6 points from the next two then we simply don’t deserve CL this season and we need to address these weaknesses moving forward. Officiating will always be contentious dogshit but we have to rise above it, build a stronger squad that is settled and ready for the first game of the season, make sure months like January don’t happen again.

Though like I said there’s no point reveling in our mistakes or what we consider to be moments where we were hard done by, tonight’s about the future. What comes next, not what came before.

5 Likes

An us vs them mentality is a powerful motivator in sports. Fergie would use it all the time.