Cars

VW make good cars no doubt. So they’re mostly a safe bet and very popular when you want to sell it. Not very sporty Polo, but you get a good trim level and safety features as standard. Comfortable to drive too :+1:

Compact SUVs? It’s very hipster imo or older people who want a smaller car that’s easy to get in and out of. Pricier too.

1 Like

Tell them to piss off.

4 Likes

What counts as a compact suv these days?

Fuck SUVs. I own one and can’t stand the fucking thing. Big, ugly, horrible fuel mileage. Unless you have 3 kids and camping gear to haul around, get the polo. So much more fun and cheaper to own. I miss station wagons (estate).

1 Like

Do you have Ford Ecosport or Kia Sonet over there?

It’s slightly bigger than premium hatchbacks but not big enough to be considered SUVs

1 Like

This is something I have realized after owning my motorcycle for 7 years. Every scratch, every bump, every dent has a little story and I absolutely love it the way it is.

Thanks guys. Just need this lockdown to lift and I can get my hands on the Polo.

3 Likes

Stay away from VW in India. I’ve had the Vento and the Laura as my last 2 cars and I won’t touch VW/ Skoda with a barge pole again. The service network is very poor and the spares are prohibitively expensive.

Also, they haven’t bought their latest platforms to India, so you’re restricted to legacy systems on both drive and in cabin.

1 Like

Is this the only issue with VW?
Cause being a Royal Enfield owner, I am used to being sad about service fees.

This does bother me. They launched a new facelift of Polo which looks absolutely beautiful in Thomas Blue colour.
Considering how VW is being absolutely rinsed by i20, figo & swift, It’s a tad insulting that we still have 2010 version Polo.

If you get one of those I will lose any respect I have for you.

The worst, most moronic drivers drive those things and they are a bought on the car industry.

Also what gullies are you going to get one of those things through? Awful awful awful.

Edit: good lad, the polo looks nice and is a decent little car.

2 Likes

I like the typeface on the number plate

2 Likes

Well the next car in the wishlist is a Volvo (Sedan or SUV).
So you will hate me in coming future.

Volvo’s are ok

Anyone here have a car on finance? I’m tempted to get myself something to just pay off monthly so I still have good savings to fall back on if needed rather than just buy a car outright. I don’t want something brand new, since the new merc c classes are ugly, but the 2015ish model is :ok_hand:t3: Thinking of around 350/400 a month with a good deposit of a few thousand, does that sound realistic?

It’s how I bought my car that I drive for work. We call it leasing here. Leased it for 3 years and then at the end of the lease bought it outright. It’s one of those Toyota toaster cars, Scion xB. But I’ve got 180,000 miles on it and never had a problem with it, and now I own it outright and always had pretty low monthly payments.

I got mine on finance.
I don’t know how it works at your end but make sure to check for all hidden charges and foreclosure fees.

Does anyone here own or have any experience of a plug in hybrid?
Im looking to upgrade my Alfa to a Mercedes c class or BMW 3 series station wagon versions, I’ve skimmed the Internet forums and it seems anything electric driven is getting a bad rep as the warranty on these batteries is about 7 years, and if they need to be replaced after that you’re looking at a bill of more than €15k.
Im buying new so would have 7 years without worry, fossil fuelled car’s have until 2035 here until they cannot be manufactured. So should I wait until then and hope batteries have improved?

I’ve very much pondered this and keep coming back to it because I do a lot of mileage.
But for me personally the cost of buying the electric car or the monthlies far exceeds what I’m currently paying in diesel prices and no monthly payment for a new car.
Also hesitant because the technology is still very much in the infancy stages and is constantly evolving so it won’t be long before any car you buy there will be model coming along with bigger and better performing batteries, also the infrastructure here is still very much shit unless you’re in one of the big cities.

2 Likes

Im leasing a plug in hybrid Mercedes GLC suv (jeeps as u call them). Its only got like a 30 mile range on full electric and then the petrol power kicks in. It is great for everyday driving around town. Can go weeks without going to a gas station. When you drive long distances tho, like I said it only covers 30 miles and then u start using petrol. So I can pull maybe 40 miles a gallon which is very good, but still not anything crazy.

As a side note weve had 3 separate instances with this car overheating, and the dealership told us that the hybrid mercs seem to have more issues than their other cars. Anecdotal evidence but I believe it. Under the law here Mercedes has to buy the car back from me but with how much we are saving on petrol we want to keep it. The car we own is very hard to come by these days apparently.

3 Likes

Im out in the countryside the nearest chargers are about 30 minutes away, but if I was going to fully invest I would have a home charger installed as we have solar panels and we have plenty of sun in Portugal.

I keep reading the Mercs have a bad rep with their batteries and as I would be paying cash rather than finance it’s putting me off more I read about them.
I know car companies have to invest in alternatives fuels but as I’ve got a couple of classics too, I was thinking a plug in hybrid is a way of dipping my toe in before a full electric revolution.
Any electric or PHEV doesn’t have to pay any road tax or the road tolls either.

This is what’s stopping me from getting an electric car right now otherwise I would have got one by now.