Nabil Fekir

Lets put it this way Jules, if you mean we should prioritise a defender much more - I used to agree but I don’t think any defender makes much difference for us after seeing like 20 of them come through since Pat Rice was here and we’ve looked almost exactly the same even with two different managers, except for maybe a short period with Mer+Kos, so I’ve given up on it.

The only theory I have left is that Wenger used to build from the back as he used to say but it was Rice who actually did the minute details of the defending part back then, and since Bould took over it didn’t work out nearly as good, and he stayed during the manager transition because he is Arsenal through and through and knows the ins and outs so he could be the glue during the transition, and he’s moved positions now this summer, so I am curious to see if Emery’s coaches take over and we see a different style of defending once the season begins. If we still look as flimsy a month or two in then I don’t know… we might need to shake up the coaching staff or something.

We do need wingers though, and I think desperately. We transport the ball wide much more than we did under “pack it central” Wenger and I can imagine that if we threaten wide as much as we do up front with Auba-Laca we’d be lethal. Especially if we get fast wide players who can counter with the pace of Auba. Which is also why I think we really need Bellerin back on the right now that we play more directly.

That being said, I can agree maybe better defenders I guess still will help to some degree… I suppose.

Maybe better defenders will help? Maybe?? :slight_smile:

Well we’re not exactly getting Koulibaly and Varane if we’re getting a pair, are we :mustafi:

We couldn’t afford one of those, never mind both :slight_smile:

Fekir for €30m tho… ? :grin:

If he’s secretly a world class CB who can displace Mustafi, sure. :slight_smile:

Why has his value dropped from last season?

Most decent players have seen their value almost double in the last few seasons but Fekir’s has gone down.

Either he is a crock or his form has been very poor but for the same reason Liverpool turned him down, so should we.

I’d rather have Fraser, who is young, doesn’t seem to have many injury problems and is already in the PL.

To spend a large percentage of our transfer budget on a punt is something we can’t afford to do.

1 Like

Do you consider a player with 20 caps for France, the captain of Lyon and maybe their best player especially in the CL (bar perhaps the Man U reject) last season, the punt compared to some guy who’s had a couple of good seasons at Bournemouth? They’re the same age btw.

There must be a reason why he is only 30m and why Liverpool turned him down.

I don’t doubt his ability but if fitness or attitude have been a problem then I would go with Fraser.

Just because he plays for Bournemouth doesn’t mean he’s a poor player.
You could argue that playing in Ligue 1 isn’t that great either.

Fraser’s stats last season were better than any of our midfielders and he was playing for a side just above the relegation places.

Well he’s played more games than Fraser has every season if that says anything. I am not arguing against Fraser, especially not based on him playing for B, it was just that the punt wording made it sound to me like he is historically better than Fekir who came on in the WC finals last year, and less of a risk taking which sounded strange. We’re all guessing here and I’m beginning to sound like I’m the biggest Fekir fan in the world which isn’t the case, I’m just thinking of it all relative to what we have, what we’re likely to spend (which certainly has to be more than some £40m or rito), what we need etc. And he is a good footballer.

Both of them could come here and be great or shite or anything in between obviously.

1 Like

That figure is hardly a fact haha.

I highly doubt he’d be let go for that much tbh, not only does he have better pedigree than Fraser but he’s also a better player, they’re also the same age.

We always talk about bargains and snapping them up, Fekir would be at those reported figures. Only thing is he’s not an out and out winger.

Wanting Fraser over Fekir when they are rumoured to cost the same is an absolute madness haha. Fekir would instantly be one of our best players. Fraser would not

He probably would be to be fair. More because our players are shit, rather than it being because he is a world beater.

2 Likes

I am dissapoint…

1 Like
1 Like

If his injuries are enough to stop Liverpool buying him, considering Klopp was very keen, then that’s enough for us not to buy him.

We just haven’t got the resources to take a risk on an injury prone player, no matter how good he is.

1 Like

Given our track record with crocked players and the fact that Liverpool turned him down after the medical as well as the fact that he’s this “cheap” something must be very wrong.

I just can’t see this working out well for us - the deal is too good to be true. There’s something fishy going on.

2 Likes

Sounds perfect for us :slight_smile:

4 Likes

we should get back on this guy asap if CP are being dicks.

Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Nelson vs Holding, Mustafi, Chambers, Sokratis, Koscielny, Mavropanos. I don’t see how you can argue that there is more need for centre backs. The options for the wing are equally as bad as the options for centre back.

2 Likes