(N)Everrrrr Banega

I think Emery is slowly starting to reveal what he’s most comfortable doing. Obviously all managers have their favorites (didn’t Niko Kranjcar just follow Uncle Harry from club to club for like 10 years?) and Emery is no different.

What worries me is that Emery believes that in order to secure the 3rd club option year on his deal or a new deal or use Arsenal as a springboard to another club he needs to get into the Champions League. And the way he feels most comfortable doing that is with a fairly conservative game plan and relying on older players who may be more prone to follow directions but will really leave the club in a mess when it comes time to turn the squad over (again).

I don’t have an issue bringing Banega in for a very low fee if Emery is worried that he doesn’t have a guy on the field who truly understands his game plan. What I am afraid of is Emery quickly amassing a lot of control over transfers and dialing up the age profile of the squad in an attempt to win now.

1 Like

Lol at thinking he is going to be a CM under Emery. Banega was his number 10 after Rakitic left.

Wouldn’t mind it if Saka, Smith-Rowe and Nelson too get chances. I think.

2 Likes

Tbf, I doubt it will happen now. The only plausible scenario is with Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey and Ozil out the team, then Emery will have to bring some proven(for him) experienced players into the team, to supplement our midfielder choices. If he’s cheap then whatevs.

2 Likes

Yeah it makes sense in the scenario of a cleaning house… get Kai Havertz, Youri Tielemans, and Banega to work with Torry and ship out all 4 of the ones you mention… we’d still have to pay, but we’d actually be on lower wages total I reckon.

2 Likes