Motorsport

Ya know I underestimated the fact that Mclaren was doing it on their own this year. Like I said overnight they bought the Andretti damper program and got setup info from Penske…AND THEY STILL FAILED TO QUALIFY, lol wut y? They shoulda been doing this far sooner. Teams like Dragon Speed and Juncos beat them into the race which is as u said embarrassing. Sucks tho cuz the race woulda been more interesting with Mclaren and Alonso…plus this might hurt the chances of Mclaren coming to Indy full time.

For sure if would’ve been more interesting to have Alonso in the race, but the speed they’ve shown all week, any chance he would’ve had fighting towards the front would’ve needed luck with cautions and strategy which for someone of his usual speed, probably wouldn’t be much fun struggling to hang on to a better position and hoping for things outside his control to go his way.

But yeah it’ll be interesting to see what Alonso and Mclaren do next, because they fucked up badly. Of course, the other irony is, if Alonso hadn’t been such a bitch to Honda, then he probably could’ve arranged another Andretti tie in again, instead of colabing with noobs like Carlin, so in that aspect, I feel hard to totally feel sorry for him :xhaka2:

2 Likes

The rumor was that Mclaren were looking to just buy a team and the most likely candidate was Ed Carpenter Racing, and their 3 cars all qualified in the top 9. That deal fell through for some reason tho.

The one thing that’s nice about this result tho is it makes Hamilton’s comments from last year seem stupid. He had a great car with Andretti last year so he qualified well but the IndyCar field is competitive each and every week, reality hit hard this time around. Also the Juncos story is pretty cool. They don’t even have a sponsor for the car, I bet they will after today :joy::joy:

1 Like

Man, Alonso being a prick has cockblocked his talent again and again.

Good article here about just how inept Mclaren were in their attempt at Indy. Not a surprise at all after reading this.

So who’s actually watching the 500 today?? Or since Alonso didn’t qualify did that kill all the interest in Europe?

Ngl I stopped caring when Alonso didn’t qualify

1 Like

I figured that’s probably what would happen.

Insanely good race, one of the best Indy 500’s I’ve ever seen

I know no one will really care, but MotoGP was bloomin awesome again today at Italy. Great racing from start to finish and a new winner to boot as well :slight_smile: Really is one of the best sports around right now. A vast aray of talent, variety of different machinary all close together.

If you fancy seeing some of it @Electrifying, here’s some highlights (Sorry @Bl1nk, it’s geoblocked :grin: )

2 Likes

@Mysty, glad ur back and was wondering what ur opinion is in the big news that’s been dropping the past few weeks in IndyCar. First that the series is gonna move to a hybrid powertrain and other hybrid technology in order to attract new sponsors and engine manufacturers. Big news but not really considering it was the next move in a natural progression, they were probably about 5 years too late on it but good for the sport to be heading this way

Then the even bigger news that McLaren has partnered with ASPM to field two full time cars in the series next season. Which then forced ASPM to dump Honda who they were pretty good partners with. They are moving to Chevy, and now the rumors start about who’s gonna be driving for them. Alonso is obviously their number one target. Would be cool to see him in IndyCar full time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grandprix247.com/2019/08/14/brown-we-will-talk-to-alonso-about-indycar/amp/

The word is they are also after Colton Herta, and Brown has already said anyone in IndyCar who they think is good they’ll test in an F1 car. Pretty cool that we can see maybe that bridge being built from F1 to IndyCar and vice versa again, it would be great for both sports imo.

The hybrid news is good for Indycar I’d say @BigWeng_4LYFE, they’re going about it in a less complicated way than F1, though we’ll still have to wait and see if they do attract any new manufactures or not. On the plus side, it’ll be great to see much more powerful engines, which has lacked a little in modern Indycar compared to 20 years ago.

As for Mclaren, it’s interesting, though would’ve liked to see them join as their own team, but I guess the fuck up from Indy 500 this year made them think twice.

2 Likes

Marc Marquez is unreal. way too good. somebody ban him from using both hands on the bike or something.

or make him ride for Ducati

@BigWeng_4LYFE guess which red, lovably chaotic Italian racing team is thinking about an IndyCar entry?

Because of the F1 budget cap meaning Ferrari would have to otherwise lay people off apparently, they will divert some of those resources towards another series and it seems IndyCar might be the one.

Let’s see, I hope they do it.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Yeah I saw the news story a couple weeks ago saying they were interested but I didn’t know why! That makes perfect sense

Would they have to use a non ferrari engine though. Imagine that :upside_down_face:

No way, they’d 100% use their own engine, I guess the chassis would be more standard.

I could see them joining Honda and Chevrolet in being a supplier but let’s see.

1 Like

Yes that’s the major thing Indycar is looking for, an engine supplier, we have like 24 full time cars that’s more than enough but they want one more OEM. Ferrari, Chevrolet, and Honda would be quite the trio :joy::joy: wonder if that would be another way for them to skirt the F1 rules. If they are manufacturing engine technology for indycar they could in theory endlessly test that tech and bring it over to F1. Tbh not sure how F1 is leveling the playing field but isn’t it something to do with putting a cap on the time you can tinker with the technology?

Anyways if Ferrari joins indycar I’ll convert over to being a Ferrari fan with the rest of you :grin::+1:

Bet Ferrari would still find a way to cheat in Indy :rofl:

2 Likes

It would be like those old NFS games where the player has to choose between an American muscle, Japanese Tuner or European exotic style car. :arteta:

1 Like