Mohamed Elneny (25)

Elneny Partey should play every big game. They are a brick wall

1 Like

BTW I always thought Elneny was our most underrated midfielder.

Elneny is a klopp type player, some one with discipline and high energy and good work rate. On his own his lack of technical skill might let him down and he will look unimpressive however as part of a system and team of other players who will also press then he becomes a key part of that machine.

I’m glad Arteta is starting to utilise this style of play, last night all the players where pressing, and that was forcing Utd to make errors, and I’m going to quote Klopp and say “Gegenpress is the best playmaker” you don’t need a number 10 to make a genius pass, the high press which forces opposing team to lose the ball in their area means your one simple pass away, which is what we were doing.

Elneny is a perfect player for a team like this, if Arteta can get other players fitness levels to be up there, then we can essentially circumvent our lack of a CAM by pressing the fuck out of teams high up to get chances, then fall back into our well drilled 5–2-3 defensive shape when we have enough of a lead.

6 Likes

Get in the line

1 Like

2 Likes

left his heart out there

12 Likes

8 Likes

I think that would be immense.

It’s a shame we’ve practically given away an expensive asset in Torreira :pensive:

1 Like

I’m not sure about that - as others have pointed out, there are conflicting reports about the obligation to buy.

Simeone got Torreira in so he could play in the same midfield as Partey (albeit as backup), so you’d think they’d compliment each other.

Unfortunately, he just hasn’t settled here and/or Arteta doesn’t want him.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The Athletic did an Elneny article on Nov 3rd (spoiler tagged below if you want a read)

Edit: Full Athletic articles not allowed.

2 Likes

If it keeps Xhaka out of the first team then Elneny is a decent option.

4 Likes

Also largely a case of placing an exceptional player beside a mediocre one and praising an average partnership.

I still think Ceballios or someone even better is what we need beside Partey if we want to progress with his brilliance.

1 Like

We no longer accept full Athletic articles on OA. The articles are premium content for paid Athletic subscribers. Which makes it illegal to post them on OA.

If people want to share Athletic articles with OA’ers that’s fine - there are other ways to do it - just don’t use public OA for it. :slight_smile:

Nothing against you MissRed, I was meaning to take action regarding this issue but I forgot haha.

4 Likes

No problems, I danced with danger a little bit there, but was trying my chances :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Noted for future

1 Like

Man Utd game one off imo, I don’t think he can consistently play that way every game.

Don’t dislike him but not a top notch player.

1 Like

Needs to be used in a horses for courses policy, those courses will never really be home games.

2 Likes

Did he goto Mo Salah’s brothers wedding too?

1 Like

Xhaka back then. Sigh.