Miscellaneous Culture Wars Bullshit

Well, I don’t think that’s how she sees it, and things like being publicly excluded from events that relate to Harry Potter is ridiculous.

If event organisers don’t want to invite her isn’t that their right?

Why would you not have the creator present if not to try and profit from the controversy around her by playing up to people who think she should be cancelled?

2 Likes

You didn’t answer the question. And I don’t even know what specific events you’re referring to to be properly able to answer yours.

Only thing I remember was her being disinvited to the Harry Potter reunion show.

1 Like

And that is one way in which people can be cancelled.

What?

By “choosing” to go along with de-platforming someone to appease the overly sensitive woke.

Alas…

An invitation was extended to Rowling to participate, but her team determined the archived comments from the writer were adequate, EW has learned.

1 Like

If you have something to point me to I’d be interested in hearing about it.

Regardless of the politics of who it was convenient to suggest refused who, the above is one such example. There was pressure not to allow her on and cast members who tried to capitalise on “popular” feeling.

You are claiming she was cancelled. Was there any others?

Why if it’s as you suggest and that pressure was the real reason would she not just say it? She doesn’t strike me as someone happy having that story out there if it aint true. You don’t seem to have anything to point to that would support the view taken.

Should it really be something tangible to qualify as cancellation?
I can certainly think of a scenario where investors or producers are a bit apprehensive about taking up projects because of the whole fuss around Rowling. She may have missed out on exciting projects without ever even knowing about them.

The fuss is entirely of her own making. Plenty of people express the same initial opinion she did and then comfortably get on with their lives. She spends basically all her free time on this.

Does it have to be tangible? Yes it does because how else is it cancelling?

1 Like

Agree with the first part.

You can’t quantify the revenue loss of projects which never surfaced.

Take Chris Pratt for instance, He did nothing wrong but somehow people took offence to him being not progressive enough, based on assumptions.
How would you quantify how many movies he lost out on because the producers deemed him a controversial figure?
How would you quantify how many brand deals he missed out on because marketing teams struck him out of contention?

These details are not visible and hence can’t be quantified.

For you, cancellation would mean a complete boycott. I feel that definition is inadequate to all the damage that happens behind the scenes.

1 Like

Nope. I’ve asked for examples in this thread and so far the only one provided I’ve been able to provide an article that at the very least brings the cancellation into question.

What goes on in the background…this is Hollywood, an industry where people don’t get opportunities because they are considered too fat when actually underweight or because they sleep with a producer or whatever. Your scenario could well have played out but they could also have decided not to work with her because she was the wrong starsign.

It’s not up to me to quantify anything here, I am not the one making the claim of cancellation.

The point is cancellation can happen with everyone knowing about it yet not being able to give you a concrete example for it.

In terms of Rowling, the franchise is big enough for her to continue benefitting from it but that doesn’t mean she didn’t miss out on other avenues.
I do agree she brings it upon herself.

That’s just total BS.

Basically a claim of cancellation cannot be disputed by this bar. I don’t accept it.

1 Like

I gave you the example of Chris Pratt.
Unlike J K Rowling, Chriss Pratt never engaged in social media and the whole fuss was manufactured.
Everyone knows that his career took a hit but if you ask me what did he miss out on, I won’t be able to answer you.

I didn’t ask you about Pratt. But that’s a you problem if you make a claim and can’t back it up.

I genuinely had no idea what you were referring to until I googled.