Miscellaneous Culture Wars Bullshit

Does anyone know what people like Rowling have done for others to vilify them?
It’s fine to disagree with her but to try and get her cancelled is childish and vindictive.

It seems that wokists who claim to be caring and want inclusivity are the complete opposite when it comes to other people who dare to disagree with them.

I don’t have the HP series in my collection. That will have to be amended :slight_smile:

The whole debate regarding trans is held by people (on both sides), that aren’t in the position to deliver anything else than opinions based on feelings. I don’t care for Harry Potter, I honestly can’t see why the books were such a hit. Neither do I care about JK, since I highly doubt what expertise she offers on the subject of trans. Or energy prices. Or global warming. Or Harry and Meghan. Or on anything other than literature tbh.

You could say that about every internet argument :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And that was my point. :+1:

2 Likes

Right, but it seems like we only bring ‘expertise’ into the discussion when they’re saying something we don’t like.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why trans rights takes up such a huge amount of attention in the media and politically. Trans people are such a tiny minority that this discussion really takes up a disproportionate amount of air time, it really shouldn’t get this much attention.

I also don’t understand why so many people have such a bee in their bonnet about trans people and trans rights. Who cares if someone identifies as a man or a woman, just leave them alone, they get enough of a hard time as it is. Live and let live ffs.

Now where I might catch some flack for what is potentially a fairly boomerish opinion is that I kind of have trans people split up into trans people that I believe are actually legit and should be treated as women and trans people who I don’t think should be treated as women.

If you’re a MtF person to who has had full top and bottom surgeries with FFS then I absolutely 100% believe that you are now a woman, and that you should absolutely be treated as a woman and have all the same rights - use the ladies room, new passport, new birth certificate, go to female prisons, play women’s sports etc, the whole nine yards. For all intents and purposes, you are now a woman and I will happily believe so. For that matter, I’m not even really bothered if you tell anyone you used to be a man and personally don’t feel that they should ever be expected to do so - even with sexual partners, except for maybe in circumstances where there is talk of wanting to have children etc.

What I am a bit more sceptical of are the people that claim to identify as women but “only” cross dress or “only” get top surgery and don’t do bottom surgery. For me, with these men, it seems like there is more of an element of getting their rocks off sexually by cross-dressing or being fetishized by other men as “lady boys/shemales” and I don’t believe they should have the same legal recognition as women or be allowed to change their gender/sex legally. I don’t take them as seriously as full MtF transitioners.

Now I know that’s perhaps a bit conservative of me, and I’m sure there are plenty of activists and psychologists out there that may have very compelling arguments for why I’m wrong but I feel like this is a pretty good way to draw the line in terms of who gets to actually legally identify as women.

The ultimate symbol of your physical manhood is your penis, testicles and scrotum - I can’t see how someone can fully identify as a woman with male genitalia that they could potentially use on women, either consensually or non-consensually.

Anyway like I said, ultimately I don’t have a problem with trans people at all and I’m more than happy to let them live their lives but I definitely view different trans-people different dependent on how far in their transitioning they have gone or intend to go.

As for JK Rowling, I have no idea why she’s decided to double down on this so much but I guess it’s her choice and up to her.

3 Likes

It’s honestly fine for people to boycott it, free market baby, vote with your wallets etc.

But seriously, I see no issue with people not buying the game if they feel some type of way. Generally speaking, I tend to separate the art/media from the artist. I’ll watch films regardless of whether they were produced by Harvey Weinstein or star Kevin Spacey in the lead role, and still enjoy them without reservation. I listen to Bowie despite reading comments about him and underage “groupies”. I thought Chinatown was amazing, even if Roman Polanski is a fugitive nonce rapist.

Most relevantly, me and my wife often listen to Harry Potter books when going to sleep, even though we dislike JK Rowling.

If you start being stringent in not consuming media or art that bad people have been involved in then there’s gonna be very little fucking left for you lol.

So we’ll probably be buying this game. But I think it’s fine if other want to not buy it and make lame attempts on twitter to organise a boycott. Colin Kapernick (sp?) took a knee and then starred in a Nike advert and a load of right wing idiots made a lot of noise about boycotts and even burned Nike items they’d already fucking paid for lol. What we’re seeing here isn’t anything new or that out if the ordinary, or exclusive to left wing snowflakes and “wokists”

Besides, boycotts have been a thing since long before people started going on about cancel culture. Its not a big deal, the game is going to sell an absolute fuckton, guaranteed.

1 Like

Not for the first time I feel on this subject you need a bit more female view point.
Not saying that this is unfair by mostly lads posting. Just that some female nuance would help the discussion in general.

1 Like

The greatest art has been produced by right nasty bastards. Absolutely right you need to separate the artist from the art.

3 Likes

Thriller is an epic record, even if it was made by a nonce.

1 Like

The Harry Potter games on the original PlayStation were pretty decent for their time.

Off the wall musically is the better album.

Love both but I disagree.

It’s a common opinion but.

Thriller is just :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

She just said a trans women is not a real woman, and women’s spaces such as refuges for abuse women should remain for segregated. I thing transphobic at all.

1 Like

What a monster.

Many of them are already not segregated though and no laws are being brought in to make integration compulsory. Like basically any other charity these can exist to help out whoever it is they choose to. And in many cases that already includes trans women.

She’s regularly tweeting stuff about prisons being forced to integrate too. But at all stages it has been said and legislated for that prison authorities can and will make their own decisions about how to house prisoners.

She regularly tweets out disinformation about these things and it all has the bang of “if we allow x then y will be next”. I do think she started off with good intentions but she went a long way down the rabbit hole since.

She didn’t deserve to be cancelled though. All these public stunts pulled by people still involved with Harry Potter to stick the boot in to her look distinctly self serving to me.

2 Likes

Just as well she hasn’t been?

If she can say whatever she wants then people can say whatever they want in return.

Last I checked she is still regularly being published, has a huge public following and I don’t believe she ever served a significant ban across any social media. The HP empire brings her tens of millions in personal wealth every year.

She hasn’t been cancelled, at all.

2 Likes