Super Mik Arteta

Why don’t we just go out and hire a manager that can compete against these guys? Then we wouldn’t have to wait for that. :joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

I really don’t see yesterdays result as anything more than a setback. It’s inevitable with a young team that they’ll slip back sometimes and it just all went wrong yesterday. It doesn’t erase the steps forward that have been taken in the previous games since the start of the season and we’re still in a good league position. I think if we beat Newcastle next then it’s quite easy to compartmentalise this result and move on.

As for the manager, it doesn’t really change my view on him. I think there is a ceiling to what he can get from Arsenal and i don’t think that ceiling is high enough for us and in these big games particularly he always seems to be found wanting.

2 Likes

If you want to look at the numbers and think this that’s up to you. But it’s not reality my good man.

1 Like

You don’t actually watch Brighton tho. Right?

Who’s been hiding?
If you’re annoyed about supporters criticising Arteta, imagine what it’s like listening to people defending him because he’s had a few jammy wins.

If you seriously think that after spending 200m and having two seasons where we haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s a top manager, that we can’r do any better, then I don’t know what to say.

5 Likes

You know, Ole has a good record…

Yeah even a diminished Wenger with bad team was still turning out results a lot better than what we are seeing now.

Yes of course I do they are entertaining.

Normal service resumed.

2 Likes

yea Wenger really set the tone getting Walloped at Anfield. Thanks papa wengs :poop:

2 Likes

We’re now one third of the way through the season and most of our attacking players have numbers such as these.

Auba 11 matches 4 G / 1 A

Lacazette 7 matches 1 G / 0 A

Pepe 7 matches 0 G / 1 A

Odegaard 10 matches 1 G / 0 assists

Saka 11 matches 1 G / 2 assists

They’re numbers of players in a bang average mid table side.

5 Likes

Please no new contract.

1 Like

The drumbeat has already started on Twitter. We absolutely cannot give him a new deal. I don’t care how many pressures he records per 90. Let’s operate like a smart club for once. Shake hands and let him leave.

1 Like

We were trying to offer a contract to Nketiah who we don’t even play and has done nothing for reasons I’m not even interested in trying to understand.

Golden Rule: Do not trust this club.

4 Likes

we had to protect his value :clown_face:

Low risk. High reward Rocky. Come on man you know the script.
Nothing to lose they say if there young. What can go wrong.
Sounds great in pre season this talk doesn’t it.

2 Likes

After going hard against Arteta around March of last season, I am nowhere near trusting or backing him, but I’ll just say that those in various places (not this forum) pushing “Arteta Out” after the match yesterday only undermine themselves. If you are 11 on the dial against Arteta after yesterday then how on earth will people consider you sane and balanced for periods where there are legit strong cases for Arteta to be removed?

We’re sitting 5th in the table after 12 matches, and 4th is West Ham. Stay positive for now. The test will be over the next few weeks to see if we can legit establish ourselves for Top 6, with a chance of sneaking into Top 4.

1 Like

So I guess we aren’t as far ahead as I thought we were under Arteta, after this Liverpool result. Having said that, I can easily see us beat United and Everton, and draw Newcastle, so 12 - 13 points out of 18 is still possible. Will that be enough indication of the progress made this season, I can’t say.

2 Likes

I think the problem a lot of people have, isn’t our league position, it’s the fact that a lot of points we’ve got this season weren’t always deserved.

Some of the performances where we have won, the games could have gone either way and certainly there have been several where the opposition should have got something out of it.

If our game was full of attacking play and we were dominating games, making loads of chances, then a lot of people would be behind Arteta, but it isn’t like that.

As soon as we come up against the big teams, we are completely outplayed and look weak.
Even games against lower clubs we’re only scraping a win and the games against similar size clubs, like spurs and Aston Villa, we beat them when they were at a low point.

In the time Arteta has been here, what has he done that could be described as taking us forward?

What other club, especially of our stature, would give a manager so much money and so much time, only to see so little in return?

4 Likes

Despite suffering another humiliating defeat against Liverpool, we’re still 5th.

Even if we get battered there for the next ten years, that doesn’t dictate how our season turns out. It’s arguably the hardest fixture in the whole calendar.

There’s still been enough progress in the other games. A young team can easily be bullied and intimidated at Anfield.

It’s how we bounce back that will again tell us where this team is going.

3 Likes

What’s on the side of bouncebackability I think is the core of ESR and Saka with some youthful additions that have character, such as Ramsdale and Lokonga, probably also Ben White (to be confirmed after more time). This core has hunger, will hate to lose, and definitely is not in football just to happily take big pay cheques. This is the advancement of the squad as a whole, although we are 2-3 players short of similar stuff, so there’s still work to do over the next couple of transfer windows.

What can override this of course is if the first team coach (manager) does silly things with selections, man management, etc., but I think at least Arteta is not disastrous and things are moving forwards. Whether he ends up the same as Lampard and OGS is the question.