Mesut Özil

Overall, he may not be the top 10 or top 20 (they have a bunch of great keepers already)
If by position, he is the top 3 - 5 as attacking midfielder IMO

NO chance he is top 3 or 5 attacking players lol. Germany have had a lot of great strikers and forwards and midfielders in the 80s and 90s who are a level above him.

I started following Germany hardcore since 1982,I know what I am saying…

By the way, rating players can be subjective, so I respect your decision.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Since you started this Germany topic…

It is really difficult to put the all time 11 for Germany because they are kind of like a “hybrid” type players, player that can play multiple positions…

Is Matthaus a CAM, or CM or sweeper/CB?? His name is automatically there but there is no clear cut on where to put him.
Same as Ballack.
Is Brehme a LB or a LM?

When you pick Muller (Gerd) as your forward, you are going to leave out Klose and/or Voller…
If you pick Kahn as keeper, you are going to leave out Maier, Kopke, Neuer… a long list.
Not being the top 10, 20 or 30 doesn’t mean he is not good enough. Just some other positions have more outstanding players.

I say Ozil is the top 3-5 attacking midfielders because his role is clear and firm, no confusion.

At this moment I would rate Any Moller and Thomas Hassler before Ozil as “attacking midfielder”… not in a mood to recall all the matches and tournaments to find more.

4 Likes

I can see what you are saying. On the eye he is nice to watch. Plus he is very marketable. Muslim , Played for Germany , Was very Hyped as a youth player ,married miss turkey , played for a huge London club and now is playing in one of the top 3 Turkish clubs. But the guy lacked the work rate . Played almost no away games for us since 2015. Pretty much gave up on football after euro 2016. And lacked goalscoring ability to be up in the elite level. Any decent CAM would get over 20 assists playing with CR7. Taking about strikers. Where would you put Rudi völler jürgen klinsmann?. Great goal scorers . And let’s not forget all those great attacking and defesive players in the 70s,80s an 90s.

This is not true… you know that.

For pure striker for Germany, I would put Gerd Muller and Klose in the 1st tier… Voller and Klinsmann and Rummenigge as 2nd tier.

1 Like

Klose is not even top 5 Germany forwards of all time list. Check out this list you think mesut gets in this lol

I said, this is subjective

Never really watched how Netzer and other oldies play so they are not in my lineup.

Klose, the all time WC goal scorer, not on the all time list??? Funny.

2 Likes

Love it

Arsenal fans reminiscing of Ozil…

You can tell the FT lot on Twitter we’re born in the late 2000s. Bet they think he is best number 10 of all time.

2 Likes

Arguably the best #10 of his generation though?
Excluding Messi of course. :rofl:

In the top 10. I guess.

In the top 3 mate.

Under appreciated 100%.

5 Likes

When he was on it he was superb :grin:

You can’t put someone in the best decades list who has gave up on football since 2016. The guy has not played a away game in half a decade lol and hasn’t turned up to a football game since 2016.

2 Likes

Imagine shunning Wenger and Ozil out of the club, and now being left with this fucking dross to watch every week.

6 Likes

Imagine having Wenger and Özil still here. Watching that dross and the endless complaining here about them both.

1 Like