Mesut Özil

Tbf, they never really stopped being unbearable :arteta:

3 Likes

There’s more than one?!

I noticed that too. Come on Josh, name them.:grin:
In before I’m one of them. :joy:

This should be done long time ago…

1 Like

@BigWeng_4LYFE are we finally seeing Joga Bonito against Fulham?

1 Like

They know who they are. :bergkamp2:

1 Like

Think he means the Özil fan boys :joy::joy:

1 Like

He isn’t going anywhere and we need to use him in Siri stone where it suits, up to you Arteta to make it work.

1 Like

Ah the never ending circle. Ozil plays, he’s not very good. Ozil is dropped, people convince themselves we’re missing out on something, Ozil comes back in, he’s not very good. And so it continues.

11 Likes

Wasn’t the case last season. :man_shrugging:
He pretty much delivered in every match he played except the phase where Freddie took over, in which we were still in the dumps. Even against West Ham, we looked beat af but West Ham committed harakiri(cheers for the 3 points Hammers).

As for the season before that, he was performing great at #10 when given the opportunity. That Leicester game was a great example. But then Emery changed it up to Respectball.
Bumery was playing with 2 #6s and 1 #8(that’s where Ozil played). I won’t even mention the period when he was playing with 3 #6s against bum sides.
Anyway, Ozil was playing well in a deeper role but he wasn’t getting the ball much, thus couldn’t create like he used to. There were heat maps at the time showing how we much we were relying on our wing backs(Kolasinac specifically) to create stuff.

I will give you some fuel though. Ozil shat the bed against Chelsea in the final. Him, Laca and Aubameyang choked big time. Disgraceful performances in a final, even if they couldn’t see eye to eye with Emery.

1 Like

I agree.
Ozil gets the blame when we don’t play well but when he and Sanchez were on form, their stats were some of the best in Europe, even with Giroud upfront.
Imagine what they would have been like if we’d had Aubameyang playing in front of them instead.

When Sanchez left it meant Ozil was the only top quality midfielder we had and he was playing alongside mid table level players.

It’s the same with our defence.
We could have Maldini at his peak playing for us but if he’s surrounded by inadequate players who aren’t coached into some sort of defensive unit, then even he’s going to look a poor player.

It’s been like this with Ozil for a couple of seasons and although he has a dubious attitude problem, he is still a good player and, when he has played, is certainly not our worst.
If he wasn’t earning the ridiculous wages he does, he wouldn’t be getting the same criticism.

Strangely, if we don’t buy a top quality play maker in this window, he will still be our best midfielder so maybe Arteta will have to start using him more.

4 Likes

I was one of the biggest admirers of Ozil when we signed him. He’s still a decent player no doubt, but that’s no use when he doesn’t feature as much as the team needs for whatever reason. And the amount of money we’re paying him could’ve easily been used elsewhere. What a messy situation we find ourselves in.
The ideal situation would’ve been to start afresh, sell him and buy a youngish creative player. But if he ends up staying(which seems likely), think it’s on Arteta to try make good use of him as much as he can.

2 Likes

People seem to ignore the fact that for most players, it’s important to build a string of 10-20 games or so, to build up confidence and get in the right mindset. If a players is only played 30 minutes here and there, gets a start every now and then, but mostly on the bench, you can’t expect that player to perform at his best.

2 Likes

1 Like

:yawning_face: :yawning_face:

10 Likes

U have been spot on today mate

2 Likes

Wish he would have just answered the simple question

What Ozil should have said was: “I’d rather go to spurs and drain them of 350k a week so they can’t afford any decent players.”

Instead of doing it here you mean.

Exactly