Mesut Özil

Odds on him posting up a 2015/2016 season?

I don’t know man, his last season was a complete fiasco, we all know there’s a good player in there somewhere, so hoping for some kind of a rebirth here.

1 Like

3 Likes

Honestly I’m good with Ozil as captain. I think it should happen, will help his confidence

3 Likes

I’m sure Erdogan has inspired him to great leadership.

4 Likes

Nothing screams leadership skills like a player needing the confidence boost gained from an undeserved title/position.

Ozil as full time captain would be pathetic, when the chips are down so is his head. Literally nothing about him suggests he has the right mentality for the job.

3 Likes

Ozil vs Bayern

Say what?! The guy is the biggest bottler around, he absolutely does not have the mentality to be captain whatsoever.

3 Likes

I think his point is that as captaincy means fuck all, and one doesn’t need any mentality whatsoever to be captain because it’s a meaningless position, might as well let it serve to boost a player’s confidence.

5 Likes

Captaincy probably part of the Adidas deal :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Nothing he said indicated the above, you cant reasonably surmise that from what he wrote, its just your opinion really. That he does presumably agree with you (based on the like) is serendipitous.

I suppose the only clue is that he said he’d be happy to give the captaincy to Özil, given his evident unsuitability perhaps I should have understood that he thinks the captaincy is pointless :grin:

Also, if the captaincy is so utterly pointless and meaningless, I’m not sure why you think it’ll boost his confidence at all, why would it if it’s that empty a gesture?

2 Likes

Answering the first two paragraphs: see the words “I think” in my post.

Answering the last: what players think has meaning and what has meaning aren’t the same thing.

And no, it’s not serendipitous. I know sevchenkos general thoughts on the captaincy and from there it’s easy to figure out why he would say such a thing. Add an “I think” in there to make clear that I’m just stating what, ahem, I think the point is behind his post, and there you go.

But nothing like a Jakey post to semantify the conversation and make things more complicated than they are! :cowboy_hat_face:

If the players think it has meaning then it does, they’re the ones who have to buy into the notion not you or sevchenko. What we all think has no relevance beyond the theoretical/philosophical level, if players believe that the captaincy has meaning then their captain should be someone who is going to set the right example. So it isn’t about his quality or if he is the best player we have, it’s about attitude and mentality.

Fair play on you saying “I think” and you being familiar with his views on captaincy, just cos I’m not familiar doesn’t mean you aren’t. I personally couldn’t tell from his post that he thinks the captaincy is pointless, but I now fully see that you and others could have tbf. I can be semantic sometimes, but that’s not my intention here.

1 Like

I strongly disagree

I’m in the camp that wants to see the captaincy mean something again. Maybe I’m just sentimental but I really liked when the captain picked if the team went out together in short sleeves or long sleeves. Slowly players like Theo began wearing whatever they wanted and the role of captain at Arsenal became less and less of an honour.

I think we need to begin to reclaim our identity and appoint a captain who is not only a leader but puts Arsenal before everything. The sad thing is I’m not sure we have any players that applies to. Part from Jenks but he’s fucking shit.

4 Likes

Don’t know how to quote on mobile but re: the first statement: exactly. That’s the point.

The sleeves thing was a nonsense IMO.

Wouldn’t mind the captaincy being more meaningful though.

1 Like

Having a captain only makes sense if you have a captain like figure ala Kompany, Lee Catermole(lol).

We dont. Therefore it means fuck all for us atm.

1 Like

I learnt to appreciate it from older Arsenal fans in my family though I’d guess I’m just a traditionalist who enjoyed the ritual and unity of the act.

It’s a lot less nonsensical to me than all this hipster bullshit that envelops the sport like sportsdna and xg/a.

5 Likes

Nah man I agree. The captaincy is symbolic - in English football culture, it definitely means more than what it means on the continent. I’ve seen the captaincy trivialised here many times but I can’t get on board with that.

Considering the captains we’ve had in the era I’ve been lucky enough to be an Arsenal fan - Adams, Vieira and even Cesc - they attempted to lead by example by setting the tone on the pitch. There’s a certain type of character and charisma I associate with a captain of Arsenal. Ozil ain’t fucking it.

When you’re wearing the armband on the pitch, it’s about how you carry yourself and how you are perceived by others. You have to firstly be a fucking good player, but also the first guy to fight and defend your team mates when things don’t go your way.

6 Likes