Mesut Özil

#YaGunnerYa

Not good tbh. I’d like him to be played further back now if this lack of end product continues, as his skills can still be used in buildup.

He’s one of the few sensible passers of the ball we have.

But obviously that January 2018 transfer window looks worse and worse as time passes by.

So much short-termism which has just fucked us.

10 Likes

Sven signing all his Dortmund boys like its 2015 again ffs

The swap (Sanchez, Mkhitaryan) fucking sucks, but sacrificing Walcott & Giroud for Aubameyang is something you do every chance you get, bruv.

2 Likes

Faded again last night and replacing him was justified. Really dropping off in games now and that game was set up for him to shine and dictate after half time.

Was thinking the same thing. Reading Twitter last night, one tweet would be praising him then the next person would be saying how shit he is. The truth often lies somewhere in between.

6 Likes

People expect a goal and/or assist from him every game, otherwise it’s always an ‘average’ or ‘shit’ performance. I agree he’s working harder and more involved. Still not the 300k worthy player obviously, but there’s progress.

I think he’ll be here next season.

5 Likes

I think it’s obvious now he doesn’t fit the Emery system. But people probably still expect him too force good perfomances and himself on the team since he earns a lot.

I don’t think Emery should get all the keys, but persisting with him would be unfair to both Emery and Ozil. Arsenal need to get rid and become Workhorse FC.

1 Like

Either that or have workhorse Ozil further back as a CM.

Imo he can be an option there, an alternative to Guendouzi

Ozil can’t play CM. He gets dispossessed too easily and doesn’t like to put his foot (or head) into challenges. He’ll massively flop if played in the middle of the park.

Better than Iwobi as CM?

He did played some CM for Germany, but of course, playing international game is different from playing league game.
We already had a tough guy in Torierra, another CM can do the link up, distributing the ball and even attack.

1 Like

Maybe true in terms of physicality,but he can pass the ball better than anyone on our team and create attacks from nowhere.

Against the smaller teams, him next to Torreira and another player with a good engine may be a goer.

A bit like Cazorla became in his final seasons here?

2 Likes

Kind of. But he’s not as good as Cazorla, so ideally he’d be in a 3.

That’s how I play him in my master league team, in a 4-3-3 if that means anything other than fuck all, which it doesn’t :arteta:

2 Likes

Ozil can’t really play as an #8 in the PL. I mean he won’t be bad. His dribbling and short passing would be useful but he’ll have to work on his long passing.

Cazorla had better dribbling, but controlling, passing and vision, Ozil is on par and/or better.
The question is not his ability, but his motivation.
If you are earning 300k per week and still not motivated, there could be some serious issue.

Hope he stays. One of the only players in the team that knows how to keep possession. Others are wasteful and shite compared to Mesut.

I personally think Ozil is part of the problem with this team. I don’t blame him, but he is fairly laconic and right now we need fire. I don’t doubt his talent or what he brings to this team, but I just don’t know if it’s the right fit.

7 Likes

He missed a major portion in the beginning of the season and I think it is better to let him play more then decide.
When you want a hard working Ozil, then he is not the Ozil that we used to know, passing through channels and making making killer passes.
Yesterday he did not contribute much offensively, but we can’t say he was lazy.
In fact, he worked pretty hard.
This shows he is willing to adapt and do what Emery said.

What is Emery tactics and formation? I think none of us know. He likes to change formations and tactics almost every game. It is not easy for an attacking #10, or many players to adapt, be fair. That may be the reason why we are so inconsistent this season.
Also Emery likes to attack from the side, and a lot of times Ozil was bypassed. An Ozil without enough/proper touches is like you are cutting a wing off from an eagle.

We have Auba and Laca in the front, we will score goals anyway.
With only 40m on table for us in summer, I think we should concentrate on our defense and get one or two high quality defenseman.
Kos is aging and injury prone, Monreal is aging fast also, don’t know a speed merchant Bellerin can get his speed back or not when coming back, Mav is too raw, don’t know when Holding will be back and how much regression he will have, don’t know Chambers will be staying or not, AMN is not ready as a defenseman/starter, Kola is more like a wingback and a fullback, and you know, Mustafi…

The team conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games, and this is a far more serious concern than Ozil.

1 Like

I rate him, and also actually quite like him, but if it is possible I think it is best we get rid.

His return this season has been pitiful and I don’t really see that improving much.

But he insists he wants to stay, so I think we will probably just have to crack on and make the best of it, because very few clubs will offer him what we did.

1 Like