Mesut Özil

I’m expecting statements of support from some other german players.

If the erdogan incident doesn’t happen does he still retire?

Lack of support from some of his team mates may also have been a factor.

There will be some that opted to toe the line, definitely some truth to the reports of lack of unity in the sqaud.

I expect them not to burn their hands on this at all.

1 Like

Aside from everything else, atleast he’ll just be focused on The Arsenal now.

1 Like

Mustaches are back in Germany. Mesut did the right thing before it was too late.

We now only have the back-up Germans. Leno and Mustafi. :xhaka:

1 Like

Part III was :fire: Absolutely laid into the right-wing/racist cunts. Agree with @sevchenko that there were some pretty pointless and whingy parts in part II–and the idea that a partner should back you no matter what happens is nonsense, obviously, lol.

I must say thinking about Özil is making me really sad that we haven’t hired a manager that will get the best out of him. I would’ve loved to have seen one last 2015-16 type season from him before his decline becomes too severe, but it’s hard to see it with Emery. He’s really ruined what should’ve been a much more legendary career by coming to Arsenal, sadly.

1 Like

He’s absolutely right in so many ways, and given the backlash he’ll now face from some quarters, it demonstrates his character and resolve that he’s taken such a step.

Germany picked the wrong scapegoat, and though the issues at Arsenal are thankfully different, our support should think carefully before they label him the problem in our side.

3 Likes

Afd is gonna be happy. They are gonna have their white national team now.

Yeah, no. Not even close.

1 Like

It’s a first step for these cunts :xhaka:

:open_mouth: Damn, he did not mess around with those posts.

It’s hard for me to get into his head space regarding taking the photo in the first place. It’s not a perfectly analogous example because I’m Jewish but not Israeli but I wouldn’t be caught dead in a photo with Bibi Netanyahu. (Fuck that guy)

That being said, it was pretty clear Ozil was getting some racist abuse after the WC that was totally uncalled for. He echoed something that Lukaku wrote in a really good piece for the Player’s Tribune: if Lukaku succeeded he was a Belgian striker but when he failed he was a Belgian striker with African heritage.

Hopefully Emery finds a way to get Ozil motivated but who knows how this will impact him going forward.

3 Likes

best mic drop intl retirement since Keane possibly. Absolutely publicly laid out Grindel, unbelievable scenes.

GOAT PR team

Compare this to Messi’s cop out retirement after another L in the Copa :arteta: MY no. 10

1 Like

I don’t like the photo, but his rationale is fairly put across. Even if you don’t agree with him (and I don’t about that) you’d have to wilfully try to not see where he’s coming from.

Even if it appalls you, the photo is no kind of justification for abuse with such a clear racial element to it, and he has been singled out from a team of failures as the scapegoat partly because of his profile but in no small part because of his Turkish roots.

If German fans feel he shouldn’t play for the side again based on his performances then OK - they’d be wrong after all he STILL provided chances for them to go further in Russia - but that’s a footballing point of view and you always will get fans for whom team results are the sole barometer of an individuals contribution.

But as he has carefully laid out here, this is no ordinary scapegoating. He’s responded to clear racial prejudice with class and dignity. Well done Mesut.

Been seeing a mixture between criticism towards the DFB (Grindel and Bierhoff) and how media treated Özil unfairly, but also quite a few comments about how Özil doesn’t adress/recognize the problem with taking the picture with Erdogan to begin with.

That being said as far as football fans goes I think it’s fair to say that he won’t have a future with them as he doesn’t play for Bayern or Dortmund.

3 Likes

Bit of a dick move by Ozil to call time on the national team. When the going gets tough, the tough start bawling their eyes out in Mesut’s case. First Keown, now this.

Beckham had the mental strength to come back from national scapegoating.

Ozils acting like a pussy

No, after years of years of him being made the scapegoat. I would have been fed up as well.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

It’s not just scapegoating, he has dealt with that for years (from Arsenal fans too). It’s about racism, from both fans and those within the German team hierarchy, including the president. You don’t just get over racism – like Özil himself points out, racism should never be accepted. Some of the things he has been called are disgraceful! And if, rather than back him, the DFB are abusing him, then why should he continue playing for them?

2 Likes

Proper yer da post lol

3 Likes