Mesut Özil

Yeh of course but that’s still a ridiculous business model after not so long ago fighting tooth and nail to get him to stay. Whole thing stinks of desperation from us and I hope it isn’t true.

It’s true that the transfer fee of £25 isn’t that much, certainly not enough to get a replacement of his quality but his wages are about £15 a season and if he is going to be missing so many games every seasons then we really should be looking for a player who is more committed and reliable.

He has a great deal of talent and skill but what’s the point if he rarely shows it?

As much as I like Ozil, he could take a leaf out of Torreira’s book when it comes to attitude and commitment.

1 Like

25m fee is good, just to get his wages off the books. Christ, we can get 3 young promising players on his wages.

I know, but us doing everything to keep him was pure desperation in the first place. The same as with Walcott at the time. Except for Wilshere we kept literally everybody last summer. I’m sure Emery is now starting to see who he wants and who he doesn’t.

For the record I think Ozil is going to stay here for at least another year.

Haha that’s very true. I don’t quite agree with the Theo comparison though, I feel that the Ramsey situation is more similar to the Theo sign da ting circus.

Ozil has the quality unlike Ramsey and Theo and we could certainly still get use out of him this season and the next. Whether or not that justifies his mad wages is another story altogether.

1 Like

Don’t think people are realising what a big player we could be losing here. We missed him in games like yesterday. We needed a special goal to win, we lacked creativity. He’s still been a game changer like v Leicester this season. All beautiful football in that game came through him

4 Likes

Agreed that the Ozil situation is slightly different than Walcott/Ramsey.

The thing with wages is that they don’t always correlate with performances in my opinion. When he came from Real his wages would probably have been higher, so his starting point is a higher. No player is going to negotiate for less when their times comes up. We don’t know which role Adidas played etc. If they thought he wasn’t worth it we should have played it harder.

1 Like

The only problem is, it’s ONLY the Leicester game that has been a standout game for him this season.

Other than that, he’s stinking up the place

2 Likes

At this stage I don’t care whether he stays or goes. I don’t care if he plays or doesn’t. I don’t care if we get a huge fee for him or a bag of peanuts.

We should be feeling the loss of a player like Ozil big time but more often than not we’re shrugging our shoulders if he doesn’t play. Beyond caring about him.

3 Likes

I’m hoping this is nonsense. Our best player on his day.

1 Like

As frustrating as he can be sometimes, he can also be a game changer. He’s just a bit of an enigma, so that unpredictability in his performances can be a problem.

But, unless he’s not happy or willing to fight to stay here, there’s no point trying to offload him, unless Emery can find someone of similar quality. We don’t have many players of the creative mold and I wouldn’t like to bin Ozil off so easily like some suggest right now.

2 Likes

Ozil has been a lot better of us than people give him credit for.

1 Like

Kind of crazy that people would advocate taking a huge loss on him midseason just to get his wages off the books.

He’s not Vin Baker (that’s a NBA reference for all you hoopheads out there) or Winston Bogarde. If he’s healthy he can be a huge asset for any team. I realize that playing with a traditional number 10 is super out of favor but having him available for selection is preferable to not having him around at all.

The real question is, does he want to be here? If he’s willing to still play hard when he’s called upon then I don’t really care how much he’s getting paid.

1 Like

His career as a whole has turned into a soap opera now. World cup and national team fall out. If he has a bad game its because or the way we set up. Has to be a perfect storm and you get a L city performance.
Ultimate luxury player but where not going to be that club on this contract.

1 Like

That day was against Leicester City.

3 Likes

I see playing well without him as a great positive. Having a talisman like Ozil in the tank through the tough Christmas period is a blessing that never looked possible in recent memory.

But I think the negative side is that there could be problems behind the scenes. I do hope it is just injuries and time needed to get his mind and body right. We could really do with him back soon because he opens little doors that no one else can.

3 Likes

:rofl:

How can we so short sighted???
We want to sell him because we play a few good games without him?

We are not in financial issues and we do not have financial constraints… we should be adding someone good to our squad instead of selling.

Some of us may not like his “annual December break” or whatsoever, he is NOT a negative influence like Sanchez and still an important asset and player to the team.

6 Likes

Should have started.

Based on what? Horrific sub performance from him, looks so slow.

2 Likes