Matteo Guendouzi

Just out of curiosity, what does this mean in football terms? I’m a freelancer, and can’t think how to apply this to Guendouzi :smile:

1 Like

This may be more of an Americanism. It is a term used to mean somebody who plays outside of structure, tending to impulsively do their own thing on the field rather than just doing the job assigned to them.

Not a bad thing in life! But in football often a problem.

2 Likes

Ah see, for me, a freelancer is a genius capable of doing lots of jobs for lots of clients :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The kid has had like 4 different managers in 4 different years. Entirely possibly that Emery allowed him to play like you are suggesting. Once Arteta got here its been an adjustment period for every single one of our players because Mikel wants them to play in a very particular way. While he’s been at Hertha he’s been 100% disciplined and done what the coaches are asking him to do, in fact he usually plays really deep and doesn’t get into or near the opponents box, even tho we know that’s a strength of his game. The kid is fine maybe watch him a bit so u can have an informined opinion instead of just talking out of ur ass :+1::grin:

Really good reminder of what a quality player he was in few months under Emery.

Considering the financial limitations, it would be great if Guendonzi was the internal solution for Partey’s partner in midfield but alas I don’t think there is any scope of it consider his contract length.

If only he had good attitude.

1 Like

Unfortunately, both Guen and Arteta had burnt the bridge.
No way Guen will stay with us.

I agree that for certain points players need to have discipline, but up to where? It is the manager’s call.
Seems like Elneny is an order taker and able to make Arteta happy.

1 Like

Seems like Saka, ESR, Odegaard do too. Truth is we haven’t got a clue what the fall out is about.

2 Likes

Why do people replace the “Professonalism” with this condescending ‘order taker’ or ‘teacher’s pet’ etc?

Are we forgetting that players are there to execute orders from the manager anyway? We have managers for the very reason - to give orders to players. That’s the very basic interaction between managers and players.

I apologize for using “inappropriate” wordings.

For this, right or wrong.
First, Arsenal is not military.
To follow instructions is one thing, to follow till the end even though it is not working, is another.
Like some of us said, even there are instructions that were given by Arteta, there should be certain degree of freedom left for the players to execute.
“Order taker” here I meant, for Elneny, or some others, was following orders no matter working or not, and the player does not have any free will, or ability to make his own decision. They are “Yes man”.

Hang on, are you talking about a moment or two in a game?
For example, you find an opening and try your luck with a long shot. Like what Elneny did with Oympiacos.
I think that’s fine. It can happen in the heat of the moment.
If you’re talking about a player deciding to do his own thing for 10-20 mins in the pitch though then I certainly disagree.
Regardless if it’s working or not, the players should always execute the manager’s instructions.
There is a reason one is a player and the other is a manager/coach.

Freedom my ass. Football has become such a complex game where even the smallest margins makes big differences. Giving players total freedom ala Wenger, Solshit and Zidane only works if your team is stacked beyond belief with talent. And even then you still need some sort of structure and pattern of play with and without the ball.

Arsenal are not galacticos atm and we probably never will be. Therefore and coach acutally coaching the players and telling them exactly what space to occupy, where to press etc. etc. are our only way of punching above our weight.

2 Likes

It hasn’t. This is a myth. Teams have been playing with strict formations and philosophies for as long as most of us have been alive. You think that the likes of Sacchi and Cruyff didn’t have their teams following extremely strict instruction? Of course they did.

Some people think that tactics in football are a new phenomenon and that prior to modern day football - players just ran riot on the pitch. They didn’t. Check the difference between George Graham and Wenger. Both have ideas they stuck by, and players who played under both guys looked entirely different under both sets of managers.

It’s just that nowadays, players in academies are essentially athletes with reasonable football abilities and in general that just makes for less expressive generations of players as clubs move away from exciting flare type talent in favour of players who can cover X amount of KMs in any set time and whatnot.

5 Likes

Arteta prefers his central defenders and midfielders not to take risks. That is why Elneny plays in favour of Ceballos. Holding has more experience than Saliba, therefore is probably less mistake prone. It’s not about taking instructions from a to z. Arteta just want to eliminate all potential risk. Obviously that doesn’t work…but that is the aim. Guendouzi is another one who puts risk in his game. Partey has some risky plays in him to but has enough defensive qualities to compensate for it.

1 Like

Meanwhile, Arteta asks his players to casually pass it around in our penalty box while our opponents are just metres away.
Arteta doesn’t mind risk at all from his players. The guy doubled down on Mustafi, Xhaka and Luiz. :sweat_smile:

On Ceballos and Elneny, he just picks one or the other depending on what he needs. He needs someone to press and add more presence in midfield he picks Elneny. He needs more creativity he picks Ceballos.

On Saliba, it looks like he genuinely didn’t think he was better than the other options he had so he wasn’t gonna use him. :sob:

Guendouzi, he started using him just fine. Both the times he was dropped it was later reported to be for off-field issues.

1 Like

Keeping the ball in your own side, and not the opponents, means not taking risk since if they don’t have the ball they can’t score.

Again with everything that Arteta does the execution of it sucks. That doesn’t mean he tries to minimize risk from his central defenders and central midfielders.

^^^ THIS
Play safe my ass

1 Like

This cunt had a part to play in my dream last night. I was out eating with a group of mates and Guendouzi. My mates told me to take care of Guendouzi as he had to be watched. I reluctanly accepted the job and me and Guendouzi sat down to eat. While we sat there Guendouzi took out what appeared to be laughing gas and started to inhale it. He offered me some, but I refused. He then took some more and started to go all weird. Then I could see that he was totally feckd and he ran out to the toilets as he was starting to puke all over the place. I was livid as it was my job to oversee him and it didnt work. I woke up and know I hate Guendouzi even more. This cunt has no future at Arsenal thats for certain.

6 Likes

Capitaine Guendouzi.

1 Like

Should Saliba be getting in here?

1 Like