Matteo Guendouzi

Camavinga is being touted as a 60m buy, Guendo would be around that too had we not tanked his value by treating him like shit. Although Arteta really isn’t making anyone on the team look ultra valuable right now.

1 Like

I think you’re right. By the summer of his first full season at Arsenal, the 60mil figure was being banded about.

Should have cashed in at that point, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

Camavinga is twice as talented as Guendouzi, nearly four years younger, and not famous for being a selfish prick.

Guendouzi was never a 60m player or anything close. We bought him for 7m and he played a year and change for us, looking impressive in moments and looking like an utter freakshow in others.

2 Likes

When exactly did he have a shitshow performance here?

1 Like

Only on this forum lol

4 Likes

I have a strong memory of him playing well in big games? VS spurs and Man u especially. I didn’t really watch too many Emery games because life was busy and fuck Emery, I do like him and I have no idea why el neny is here but not guendouzi.

Also not outlandish to claim a 19-20 year old starting midfielder at a “big” club valuing that high, he was very highly rated by pundits.

4 Likes

You might be right lol.

I mentioned it on 'mania and they were like wtf :joy:

2 Likes

Absolutely this.

If we sold that summer, the vast majority of us would have been disappointed we sold for only 60mil.

Hindsight again, but we’d have been delighted with 60mil looking back. We didn’t know about the behavioural issues back then. Rather like Adebayor going to Man City for 25mil. Incredible money looking back!

When I said utter freakshow I was mainly just thinking of some of his crazy moments, like when he just tackled that guy on a breakaway. In terms of the quality of his play I don’t think he had that many massively standout stinkers, he was just consistently very mediocre at some key aspects of midfield play, like defensive positioning and nous. He showed some good qualities and some very concerning qualities with us, adding up to a promising young player (without the off field issues) but nowhere near a 60m player.

He looked incredible in Arteta’s home debut v Chelsea, too.

The quiet irony is Guen could have been the key player behind Arteta’s vision. The pressing, short passing. He could have micro-managed him to excellence. But, alas, he couldn’t manage the personality of a 20 year old…

1 Like

I don’t know what went on between the two of them. But the system Arteta has us playing just demands a lot of discipline from the central midfield players. Rightly or wrongly, its not for freelancers. And Guendouzi is very much a freelancer on the field. I don’t think the two of them were a good match at all.

1 Like

He’s a very unique player.
His defending isn’t brilliant and his goal contribution isn’t impressive yet he always stands out.

The guy’s best attribute is his ability to cause havoc in midfield. His engine is insane(guy is sprinting near the end of matches with ease), and he absolutely knows how to piss off opponents.

Almost every match I see him in he is chased down by 2-3 players trying to foul him.
I always get the vibe from him that he is toying with his opponents, whoever that is. Doing that in the PL week in week out is certainly impressive.

There’s a reason he gets the treatment he gets from France. I’m still not entirely sure how troublesome he is off the field but the guy does have the potential to be one of the best midfielders of his generation.

1 Like

I thought the exact same thing when Arteta took over and Guendouzi was slowly phased out. He did however used him after football restarted and Guendouzi looked great. Even in the Brighton match he was very impressive barring the Maupay incident.

1 Like

Yeah, he is a first class, grade A shithouser (and I say that in a good way). I will definitely give him that.

2 Likes

Not to be an asshole but coming from someone who watches Guendo every week and has watched way more of the player than you, you seriously have no clue what the fuck you are talking about :joy::joy::joy:

I think his opinion is shaped on Guendo here. I believe it’s fair to call him a freelancer given the sample size here.

Not to be an asshole either, but its literally not possible for me to have less respect for your opinions on midfield players.

1 Like

Remember his performance against Villa early in that season :grin:

4 Likes
7 Likes

I agree with this, too. It’s rather like Dixon saying when Wenger came in, he played with the shackles off. He wasn’t able to pass the halfway line under Graham. Guen might have been the same under Arteta. Stay in his own half.

I still think Arteta could have managed him, mind you. It’s a shame because I thought Guen had all the tools to become the closest (in terms of style) midfielder we had to Vieira since Vieira.

5 Likes