Mason Mount

Mount was never a primary target for Arsenal. Also, no club ever gets all their primary targets, the market is too complex. Multiple buyers, agents, player preferences to deal with etc.

2 Likes

Do we actually know he’s a primary target? I’d have thought if he was we’d be moving much more on the deal. We’ve heard nothing relating to mount other than we’re interested.

Likelihood was, we were genuinely interested and chelsea gave us their ridiculous price. Edu and Mikel probs went ‘fuck off’ and that’s it.

Bl1nk has been absolutely piled on here :joy:

4 Likes

Probably should’ve read the 16 responses saying the same thing before replying, soz.

Well, he was the alternative, was he not? And he’s actually turned up a good move so far. Unless he or Partey go, I don’t see the need of both Rice and Caicedo.

I think if Xhaka is on his way, then Rice and Caicedo come in

That improves us ten fold.

Which of them replaces Xhaka though? Xhaka has been playing as an #8/#10 for us the past two years.

When Xhaka is out, it’s Vieira, ESR or Trossard that come into that role. It’s very clearly an offensive minded role.

You can perhaps mould Rice into that role, what about Caicedo? The guy is a defensive midfielder.

Caicedo, Rice, Partey and Jorginho is an absolute overkill. We’re talking about 4 big assets here, who all will be high earners(150+k pw).

The term is Ricedo :sunglasses:

1 Like

I can see Rice in the Xhaka role
Caicedo can play inverted full back or cover Partey

I think we are going again for the title next season, we are in the Champions League and want to do well in the domestic cups.
The days of putting up with an under quality squad are over. Mikel, I believe, wants the improvement made behind the first XI so we have resources to compete from August to May.

Its exciting!

I’m not sure that’s very meaningful. Those players only tend to come into the role when we’re chasing a game as Xhaka has been such a mainstay in the side.

It could take Rice a little time to adapt but I think he could be pretty great. His ability to carry the ball is going to make a huge difference vis-a-vis Xhaka when it comes to beating high pressure. When Zinny drifts into central midfield (often dragging the opposition RW with him) while Martinelli pins the defensive line high, it creates huge amounts of space on that side for the left eight to drift into and then turn and carry. We really couldn’t exploit it very well with Xhaka because the guy is a plough horse. Rice is also going to be much more effective helping cover for Zinny defensively and in transitions because he is a lot faster than Xhaka and much better in duels.

Basically, we leave a lot of space on that side and need a guy who is technical enough to play in our side and has the physical tools and psychological makeup to dominate that space offensively and defensively, while also then being enough of a final third threat once we’re camped out there.

1 Like

Even 55M is too much for him.

Thanks United (I bet a lot of Chelsea fans think the same).

1 Like

Yeah. He’s a decent hardworking player, but not somebody who’ll elevate the midfield significantly. Not really bothered by this signing.

If Jesus and Sterling were both around 45m with one year left on their contracts last summer, there is no way Mount should be selling for 55m in the same situation, much less the 60-70m that United seem destined to ultimately pay.

I don’t know whether to be happy that United are overpaying and wasting money again or upset that they are partially bailing out Boehly.

4 Likes

Gonna be a hefty contract too most likely, United are fools but that’s nothing new.

Will be very interesting to come back to this thread in a few seasons, I don’t think he’s worth the outlay.

1 Like

Forget about Mount, let’s get Mac Allister instead.

@Bl1nk you really are a stupid twat

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CFCPys/status/1665805375541485572
https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1665773647087165443

He has also done this (mention much lower price than the one we hear elsewhere) for Rice.

I wonder if West Ham and Man Utd are quoting Bayern a different fee for theirbplayers as they prefer selling them abroad rather than another PL team.

Could explain why he’s so confident on Rice, as his sources may suggest West Ham would be more willing to do business with them than us.

1 Like

Chelsea’s ‘no negotiation…pay the £70m’ is transparent as fuck. It will just lead to a ponderous saga that could last the whole summer. That’s if United aren’t feeling charitable.

1 Like

Mount will do brilliantly at United. Wish we’d have snagged him. 70m is about his value on a longer contract, 70m with a year left is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Probably explains why Liverpool and Arsenal aren’t bothering and are focusing elsewhere for now.