Marc Overmars

Overmars was class, but let’s be honest here, Pires was a level above, one of THE best players we have ever seen…

8 Likes

Alan Shearer, incidentally, said his toughest opponent was Martin ‘the Rash’ Keown

I love both. Even when I started watching football properly, in 2002, when I even didn’t know Overmars played for Arsenal before (took me a while to find that out), I loved him, well, like almost all the Dutch players at that time (except for Van Nistelrooy etc).
Insane dribbling ability and pace, but also knew to raise his head up and link up with the team mates unlike most wingers of that profile, that’s what I liked.
Regarding the comparison with Pires obviously I’m not competent to evaluate Overmars’ impact on Arsenal, but I can hardly put any winger/left midfielder of that era in front of Pires. Even some prominent number 10s of that era, considering his massive creative ability.

2 Likes

I’d have unilaterally changed your username had you said any different tbh mate

1 Like

Peak Pires end product in his assists/goals shits on Overmars. In the first season he appeared a downgrade

Mate if I started talking more about how high I rate Pires I’d get banned

:bergkamp2:

matter of time until Jakey posts that pic

3 Likes

Overmars was one of my favourite players, after Bergkamp, but Pires was class as well.
That was back when our transfer windows had great attacking players like, Bergkamp, Anelka, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Wiltord, Overmars etc, coming in to the club, joining an already great team, full of world class players.

We’ve gone from that, to buying such attacking talent as Willian, a Chelsea reject, on a free.

Pires is the best pure left winger in PL history.

2 Likes

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Ryan Giggs may have to be top of that list!

Not a chance in my eyes. The most overrated PL player of all time. His longevity earns him more plaudits than his actual performances.

Good player but you feel like the fact he lasted so long is why people rate him so highly rather than because he was genuinely as good as it got in his position.

8 Likes

I agree.
Giggs was a very good player, playing for one of the best teams in Europe.
If he hadn’t played until he was forty people wouldn’t be going on about him as much.
Pires was a class above and, along with Henry and Bergkamp, was part of one of the greatest attacking line ups in the PL as well as a World Cup and Euro winner with France.

1 Like

Being good enough till play till 40 and the most decorated player in English football means at the very least you shouldn’t have the term overrated on you.

Giggs ex-wife also has 8 more PL medals than Gerrard.

That’s gotta be saying something, no?

1 Like

Yeah but if people talk about you as if you are one of the league’s greatest ever players, when at no point was he actually the best player in the league, or even ever the best player at United, then regardless of medals or playing til 40, overrated is definitely an applicable term imo.

1 Like

Don’t forget Lucas Perez, Marouane Chamakh, Park Chu Young, and the list goes on.

1 Like

Not for me. If your wanted by the most successful manager ever and most successful team and therefore contributing and have a 23 year career you earn your accolades as a Legend of the game.

1 Like

Difference of opinion, I guess. If people talk about you like one of the leagues greatest ever players and you aren’t that, the term overrated applies, by it’s very definition.

1 Like

Beckham made a career off that by promoting his PR.
Giggs just be judged on football in this argument.
Be interesting on the longevity if Ibra gets judged in a similar fashion at the end of his career.

Difference of opinion is absolutely correct, I do wonder though if Giggs would be classed as overrated if he had been an Arsenal player?