Manchester United

I actually think kick it out should get involved and go for a more progressive push and highlight the need for what your seeking off the FA.
What we have here is straight forward labelling of an individual.
It’s deeper than that and instead of demonising we need better approach.
You know why not get him on board and understand what’s wrong and then use him to explain that error.

What we have now is a result for the authorities saying we wont tolerate this.
We have kick it out saying this proves the size of the problem.
That’s not getting us anywhere especially in a case like this.
Let’s look progressive and not just reactive. This way we have more people on board.

1 Like

I love that idea but I’m not quite sure he’d be on board.

The cavani thing is so stupid it just to show how little some know about other cultures and just want to assert they own. A lot of my friends growing up were Colombian i all had such stupid nicknames like “el coqueto” ( the flirtatious one) and “la flaco” (the skinny one). All people see is the word “negro” and they lose they shit. The guy is basically saying you to his young black friend but not word for word. No every instance is racism now they want to educate his culture out of him :unamused: because people here perceive it as racist

8 Likes

The real racism here is the FA thinking their notion of what fight against racism stands for is absolute and anyone saying or doing otherwise would be punished.

There’s nothing more dangerous than some sanctimonious prick thinking they are on a holy mission.

5 Likes

If it had no racial intent he simply shouldn’t be suspended, but hey that’s just society these days… absolutely laughable.

1 Like

That by definition is not ‘the real racism’ lol

Are you of the opinion that immigrants should respect the values and cultural norms of the societies they have chosen to be a part of?

Cos really, I think thats basically what we have here. Something innocent enough in his culture is not considered acceptable within the culture of the country he has moved to, so it’s appropriate to make him aware of that in order for him to respect the cultural norms and values if the country he has chosen to live in, because ultimately the onus lies with him to make an accommodation rather than everyone else.

My opinion is that a three game ban is too harsh, as I think he clearly made the comment innocently and there was no ill will at all. Despite the phrase being similar/the same, that is what separates it from the Suarez/Evra incident for me, the fact that he clearly wasn’t using the term negatively. I feel a warning would have had the same effect in terms of teaching him that thats a bit of a dodgy phrase to use here as it sounds like a word most consider a racial slur. I bet he’d then not use it again on social media and thered be no problem. But that’s just my take.

The problem with this action is it hardens those who don’t want too recognise the bigger issue.
I posted earlier FA, Uefa, Fifa and anti racist groups need to be working closer and this sort of case is easier to deal with.
What we are doing here is just labelling and throwing the player under the bus. There’s a redeeming opportunity here that benefits the bigger issue with some creative thinking imo.

If the action you refer to specifically is him receiving a ban, then it’s not one I support. I was just making a broader point about the issue of things being acceptable in certain cultures but not in others, and how that should ideally work.

2 Likes

Except no one has lost their shit here. The FA has calmly dished out a punishment and the player has accepted he was in the wrong (even though he didn’t mean any offence) and everyone has moved on.

2 Likes

Sorry but I agree with most of what you said but it being a cultural norm I would disagree. It’s not normal to be hyper sensitive about race this is new.

Lol figure of speech not literally

Of course, he didn’t think you meant that people had misplaced their faeces. He thinks its an inappropriate use of that figure of speech.

I would say not calling black people “negroes” or a variant of that term is definitely a cultural norm in the UK, thats what I was referring to, not people being hyper sensitive.

But that’s not what he called him “negroe” and maybe you should brush up on your Spanish (he posted in) the word black is “negro” or “negra”. And in a lot of other countries it comes close Italian “Nero” “nera” French “noir”. So should he just stop posting in his language because some English do good er gets offend by a word?

2 Likes

Negro literally does mean black in Spanish though. The term Negro used to be the accepted inoffensive label in the early 1900s. Yet the etymology of the N word itself was a mistranslation of the Spanish word. The changes of semantic offense is an interesting topic, which probably runs parallel to civil rights abuses that goes hand in had with labels.

No but would you think your colleague was being a bit of dick if he called you ‘My little black friend’? Because that’s essentially what he said.

1 Like

Yeah I get that and wasn’t calling your judgement out. More how I think this is a negative that could be turned into a positive with some creative thinking imo anyway.

1 Like

You are adding you own context and emotion into it acting like saying my little black friend is offensive. So if I said my little white friend would that be offensive to? Or is because you have protect all black people from words or phrases as we don’t understand when someone is offending us?

2 Likes

No I’m not putting any emotion into it, I’m merely you asking a question. Would your colleague calling you ‘My little black friend’ in the work place be appropriate language. Yes or no?