Manchester United

Beautiful.

‘Add’s to favourites’.

Now I thought this a few weeks back and was in the middle of typing up a whole post about how he’s shot himself in the foot by not learning the language, but I got the better of myself and did some research he does speak it, there are plenty of his interviews on youtube in Spanish, it’s not great and obviously it doesn’t flow as if he’s a fluent speaker but he can speak it.

Fair enough then I guess

https://twitter.com/DrawtyDevil/status/1154438904600236032?s=19

:pires2:

5 Likes

Im a Cringoholic. More of this plz !

Would hate to be Ashrey Young right now :rofl:

I wouldn’t want to make that guy very very angry, looks like trouble

Barcerona :grin:

2 Likes

Strange one really, after seasons of throwing cash at their problems it seems likely that’s not what they’re doing this year. They’ve had 6 years to do what we’ve done in 1 and it’s insane to see a club of their size with no real restriction just sitting there doing fuck all.

Surprised Pogba is still there too, the longer they sit about and do nothing with each window that goes by they’re gonna have a bigger and costlier job of rebuilding that side.

Wait what? They are going to pay 150 million for Wan-Bissaka and Maguire. I reckon that might not be their only business.

I thought maguire was on and off?

It seems like it’s very much on.

Nah, I reckon they finish 3rd. I think they’ll eventually get another big move going. Especially with Lukaku leaving it could be two big moves.

That would be amazing if they paid that much for those two.
I know there’s be a lot of inflation in football but it wasn’t that long ago you could get world class players for 40-50m and now decent, but no where near world class players, are going for twice that much.

Man U are mugs in the transfer market.
They are going to pay as much for Maguire as Liverpool did for VVD and Juventus did for De Ligt.

Maguire is bang average. But that’s pretty much all you can buy defence wise these days. I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I don’t think there are any world class defenders around at the moment. I know some people cream their pants over VVD and I agree he is currently one of the best, but not world class IMO. Compared to defenders gone by, the best ones we have now are still a tier (or more) below that.

1 Like

Maguire is a good player and would improve their defence, not in the vein of VVD or close but he’s still an upgrade on practically every one of their CB’s.

United messed up in that they waited too long to buy another CB, the market is razor thin and inflated. Maguire isn’t doing a lot more than he was at Hull. Have to question the judgement of these top clubs at times, someone should have taken a punt on VVD too even at Celtic.

Regarding VVD he’s definitely world class IMO, he should be graded against players in this era in terms of that not in one’s gone by. His influence and contribution to Liverpool demonstrates that, he helps all of Liverpools CB’s defenders look consistently better when playing beside him and that was not the case before he signed.
One thing is we need to see his perform at this level or close enough for multiple seasons, as a standalone his last season was crazy good though.

Its not often you could say a defender is worth every penny of £75mil, the price Liverpool paid actually looks a bargain now. His value now is at the least £100mil perhaps even doubled.

2 Likes

I agree.
A lot of people laughed at Liverpool for spending 130m on VVD and Allison but those signings are one of the main reasons of their success last season.

They went from having a defence that was leaking goals regularly to having the best defence in the PL.

2 Likes

VVD’s influence on the Liverpool backline is grossly overstated by some fans.

Liverpool’s improved defensive performances is just as much a result of Klopp changing the way Liverpool approach games. The defence are offered far more protection than in the years gone by and Klopp has developed a more pragmatic approach to the game.

VVD is undoubtedly a top defender and one of the very best in Europe but people act like he single handedly dragged Liverpool’s defence from the pits. People completely overlook the way Liverpool played last season as a unit was totally different to in previous seasons when they leaked goals.

10 Likes

Yeah it is overstated, such is the nature of football. All of Liverpool main defenders were class last season to varying degrees.

But still his influence is clear as day, Klopp has definitely built a better defence starting from Alisson outwards and made Liverpool less gung-ho and more pragmatic, however, VVD has emerged as a true leader of that backline and conducts proceedings very well. Take him out of that back four for a sustained period and it’s a problem IMO.

With that said talk of him winning the Ballon d’Or is a nonsense, you give it to the best player period and that’s Messi by a country mile.

The fact United will have to buy Maguire for that amount does make me chuckle, we should have a superior player in Saliba by age 21.

2 Likes